Elegance question

Jewel

I have a Green Elegance, It's a bit finiky but not a problem, Yesterday I noticed a piece of thread like substance, sorta like a bit of strand Algea. I thought it had just been caught up in it and removed it quite easily, this evening I see the same thing again in a different place. Sorta of like Cotton but not one strand it's sorta webbed. What do you think, I'll try and get a pic.

Jewel

My Elegance had continued to expel this stringy substance until it died. I don't think it was stung and my Clowns never bothered it. quite confusing.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It almost looked like snail eggs it was expelling when I had it to try and bring back, real weird looking stuff. It's outer lips puffed up the odd day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benzzz

As beautiful as these are , I have tried 2 times in the past and couldnt keep one more than 3 months. I have seen some people keeping them very easily and others say they are hard to keep captive. Too bad Jewel it looked like a nice coloration.

heath

Distinguished Member
I totally agree, I tried one, it was fine for a few weeks and mine too had the stringy stuff. I was  feeding my Oyster Feast and I thought it was expelling waste. At the time I had a very large maroon clown that was hosting it. Mine seemed to come off his foot and it died to. So sorry Jewel, they truly a beautiful piece.
Heath

Jewel

I bought it at NAFB, it was the nicest one of the 20 or so he had, It was doing fine and then I moved it to a corner and it was down hill from there, I hate putting anything in my tank that dies. I guess it goes on the list of not wants with Gonipora,Sand Sifting Starfish,Manderins,Copper band,Sea Horses,Pipe Fish, Love em all just not hardy enough to keep.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
benzzz link said:
SS Starfish in my tank does well. I feed it a piece of raw shrimp from time to time and he is doing great

have had mine for 1.5 years now, still doing well, just noticed he is missing half of one leg though lol

Jewel

I bought one years ago only to learn that they will depleat the critters in your sand bed rather quickly. Feeding them is good and they get pretty big too. I just made a conscious effort not to purchase animals that won't thrive in a Reef tank. Now if I had a big well established system then I would have a Manderin or maybe a Sand Sifter. Maybe LOL

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
And I have had my mandarin for the same time length as well, 1.5 years
Survived to leaky tanks and a lot of temp swings :)

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah as long as you have a good pod population and a big enough system that they wont eat them all in a day, theyre a pretty hardy fish. And a great eye catcher...how i miss ny mandarin :(

Victoss

For whatever reason my elegance coral did great in my previous tank, had it for about a year and it grew to a square foot in size before I decided to sell it (the tank was only 1 foot deep). I would love to try another one but I know these corals have a very bad track record in aquariums and who knows how much longer mine would of lasted if I kept him.