emrald crab eating my corals or foxface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

Ive noticed some of my zoas and my finger leathers polyops  getting stripped ive watched for weeks to see if its my foxface but he dosnt seem to do it but this morning i seem my crab on my finger leather and it looked like he was eating it and where he was sitting at the poylops were gone has anybody had this happen? I thought emerald crabs were reef safe any ideas or is it just a coinsedence yhat he was there? Or maybe it is my foxface cause he is a huge eater and dosnt seem to ever want to stop eating. Help

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I googles this type of crab and have read nothing but what your going thru! Everyone says they do eat coral and even fish...

when emeralds a smaller they are good algae eaters. As they gain age and size they tend to shift to a more meaty diet..like fish and coral. Use them when they are small and ditch them when they get large. If you notice them pulling polyps it's time to get rid of them.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Krazykarl's right some emeralds have been known to pick at corals as they get larger in size. Are you sure you have emerald crabs? The are many species of Crabs that look very similar and will defiantly pick at coral. Google Gorilla Crabs.

To determine if a crab is "reef safe", take a look at the size and shape of the claws, as they are usually good indicators. If the claws are large and pointed, it's most likely a predator. If the claws are smaller and have blunt tips, then it's usually a herbivore and reef safe.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
No I've seen them they are def emerald crabs. But they are about 1.5" big! Not sure if that's adult or not but wouldn't doubt if they r nipping especially if hungry

C

crazybizzle

ricklalonde link said:
Krazykarl's right some emeralds have been known to pick at corals as they get larger in size. Are you sure you have emerald crabs? The are many species of Crabs that look very similar and will defiantly pick at coral. Google Gorilla Crabs.

To determine if a crab is \"reef safe\", take a look at the size and shape of the claws, as they are usually good indicators. If the claws are large and pointed, it's most likely a predator. If the claws are smaller and have blunt tips, then it's usually a herbivore and reef safe.

you might be right rick, actually one has small pointy tips like a spear  and has furry legs while the other one has blunt pinchers like a lobster . shit gotta be the pointy one then cause my frag of watermelons i got of you are completly gone just a rock now. i think i also saw that crab smile at me when i screamed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.