Looking For Exhausted Di Resin

Discussion in 'Looking For...' started by nanoreefwanabe, Jul 15, 2017.

1. nanoreefwanabe

nanoreefwanabe New Member

As it reads looking for your burnt up resin to try an experiment with... let me know if you have some saved up or a cartridge or two... looking to attain about 5g.

2. nathan

nathan Super Active Member Website Affiliate

Ok now my interested is peaked. What kind of experiment are you doing?

3. TORX

TORX Administrator Staff Member Website Admin

Trying to regen DI resin? I have heard and read a lot on it, but don't know anyone who has done it. 5 gallons is a lot of resin. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

4. Pistol

Pistol Super Active Member Donor

I've been saving mine , going to regen my next replacement but going to do it one canister at a time

5. nanoreefwanabe

Yah not only regen but also want to scrap my ro unit and basically run micron block carbon block and four canisters of DI no RO... my goal is 0tds 0waste

6. Kyle1970

Kyle1970 Member

I have some. Maybe 5 cartridges worth
    Located in Ayr

7. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Distinguished Member

Regenerating DI resin is easy and cost effective and IME the resin experiences less degradation than regenerating GFO, however even in an area with fairly high water rates using an RO membrane (with the associated waste water) is still much more cost effective than running without. You will still have waste in the form of rinse water, depleted acid and caustic solutions etc.
    Further, the membrane will remove larger uncharged molecules (some organics and inorganic colloids) that will not be trapped by either carbon or ion exchange resins. Depending on the source water that may or may not be an issue.

Also since you will be depending on the resin beds to deal with significantly more than in a system employing a membrane, be aware that as the resin begins to reach saturation it will selectively release ions with low association in favour of ones with stronger charges so when your post filter water starts to show TDS the substances will most likely be entirely ammonia and silicates. Both substances of concern.

Good luck...interested to see your results. If possible could you post your area's (or your well if you are rural) most recent drinking water analysis results? They are a matter of public record and should be accessible on your municipal website.

8. Nighthawk26

Nighthawk26 Super Active Member

I have a small pail you can have.

9. nanoreefwanabe

Thank you for the info...i know my incoming tds meter reads between 80 and 100 ppm which is fairly low... how would I get the water analysis info?

10. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Distinguished Member

Your municipality should have it on their website..if not they should provide it upon request.