External Overflow Cracked

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That moment when you realize that it isn't excess creep, but your overflow box is cracked and leaking.

Crack is at the bulkhead to the top left corner

af9a93e5cef02aedc54dcd63060b2230.jpg

Started at 830am. Used a hacksaw blade to cut the pipes and lots of swear words while trying to remove the old box

1dc96c0c8fe10c6e9e5f0a2fcac29f30.jpg

a5d7a54a2610e483906d1d56dc47d414.jpg

Finally got the old box off.l and cleaned up the old area.

bd926448ba18dad1094b8365b6f6ad1d.jpg

Built the new box last night before bed. Ready to go in.

5e0c8227ad76af33fede899bd82a94cb.jpg

Put the new box on and holding firm with a strap to cure. Leaving things shut down for at least 12 hours before starting it up again. Hopefully it is enough time.

326194e30fcd41e558f758fa41a5b0a8.jpg

I will be replacing the old pipe with hose. I think with this old house that the pipes were putting pressure on the glass as they were tight in the holes through the floor. With people and activities in the living room, the vibrations just finally cracked it. The hose will absorb any of the issues going forward...I hope.
More to come.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Wow dude!!, I'm so glad you found the real problem before an even bigger one happen, good idea about the hose too, damn old houses and their winter shifting!!, good luck bud fingers crossed x x.

SamB

Super Active Member
PITA
If you want JT to cook something up for you, I can run it !

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Truly appreciated @SamB. I am up and running as of right now. Just need to get things wired back up.

Wow that's awesome you caught it before it completely let go... sounds like a lot of work.

SpongeAl

Right on, ya I'd give it a week or more, but I'm a worry wart.

That light switch right there would bug the heck out of me too lol. :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Right on, ya I'd give it a week or more, but I'm a worry wart.

That light switch right there would bug the heck out of me too lol. :)
Ya, I keep telling myself to remove it, or flip it into the other side of that closet wall, but then I get distracted on Facebook or here lol.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Damn ! Sorry to hear , such a beautiful system I'm glad you caught it in a good time / got the problem solved , I hope everything works out and your fish / corals will be okay .

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Damn ! Sorry to hear , such a beautiful system I'm glad you caught it in a good time / got the problem solved , I hope everything works out and your fish / corals will be okay .
Everything seems fine. System was shut down for about 7 hours total. I wired up one of my RW-15's and a heater in the tank. Lights normally come on at 2pm on weekends and had them up and running again by 4pm. So nothing really changed for the fish. All seem well and no odd behavior, so I am hopeful all is okay.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Good call on the soft plumbing. Should definitely help keep the problem from not happening again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Removed the strapping last night. No leaks, no creep, and loving the hose. I will be cleaning it regularly with a plumbers brush snake to clean out any algae growth. Down the road I may switch it to tiger flex, but there was none in 1" available in my area at the time.

Rick Hickman

Removed the strapping last night. No leaks, no creep, and loving the hose. I will be cleaning it regularly with a plumbers brush snake to clean out any algae growth. Down the road I may switch it to tiger flex, but there was none in 1" available in my area at the time.
I'm sorry to see the collapse. Left you a line in your other thread. I hope this box brings some more success than the original with the change of plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk