Fiji Shut Down Coral/liverock Trade

Josh

3f4lzhtkux601.png

Nelson79

Rest in Peace 08/06/2019
That's actually great. You can make some cool rock diy now anyway so you likely don't need liverock like you used too.

Leave it in the ocean...we got this ;-)

This applies to coral as well unfortunately...so no more sweet shipments of coral from Fiji. I thought they had good coral regulations there that encouraged farming and still protected the reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hark

This applies to coral as well unfortunately...so no more sweet shipments of coral from Fiji. I thought they had good coral regulations there that encouraged farming and still protected the reef.

Yes I see that, good thing there are lots of people who frag corals, lots for sale in places like this along with other sites that help sell corals .

I don't think it will be horrible and it will (in my opinion) be back after a year or so once the resource shows signs of recovery. Seen this done in Canada with our resources as well, temporary halt on harvest until the resource recovers then back to controlled resource removal (fish, fur, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is a rough one for us to hear as well as to the people who are employed in the industry there. Upon further reading, this was originally tabled 10 years ago and was supposed to be phased in over 5 years. The companies that harvested live rock and coral have known this was coming. They did not move projects from non sustainable practices to farmed and aquacultured corals. Primarily because the cost of running a farm is higher then the pennies they were spending before. Basically they road the cash cow wave until the damns were closed and now they are just pulling out. Down the road the government will be looking at opening the doors to corals from sustainable farms, but I do not disagree in their closing the doors until then. After 10 years of warnings, they finally put their foot down.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
An article from one of there local papers states the same, however, they are considering to let aqua cultured corals still be allowed to be grown and exported.

"“We are banning the export of our live corals, unless if they are bred by the exporters, but the breaking of corals from the coral reef and regenerating it for export is banned from 2018,” he said."

Which means your pink birds nest is still cheap :D. (They can also be found in Tonga, Samoa among other places)

True Fiji live rock will skyrocket in price, but very few people use or bring that in anyways these days (except for us of course). However, you can import live rock from other places as well.

Here is the article I found with a bit more information.

https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/30/harvest-export-of-live-coral-now-banned-ministry/

parksy

Super Active Member
I should add we had brought in some of Walt Smiths Reef Rock 2.1 (man made) and its pretty amazing stuff. I would have no issues starting a new tank with this rock
I'm happy that I bought that real Walt smith rock from you when I did. Can't wait to start this tank up.