Fin rot

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willy1der

I bought a 6 line wrasse and noticed the next day a white blemish on its fin,then the next day a hole in its fin.I did a 30% water change and started with melafix last night and today noticed the other fin is looking a little ragged.I have not secluced it from my other fish yet who are healthy .Should I pull him out and treat him seperatly and also will melafix do any good .My tank is clean and reading are where they should be. Thanks for the replies  !!!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea defintky pull him out ASAP. Fill a 5g pail or a spare tank with fresh salt water and use the furan 2 medication, look under the thread 'sick fish ' on this forum, you will find all the info you need.

W

willy1der

thanks for the reply,going to get him out now if I can catch him,lol!!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Good luck with the catch and I wish you all the best with healing it.  One word of advice though, the directions I gave Brandon for threatment with Furan 2 are for a ten gallon tank.  If you go smaller, adjust the dose accordingly. 

W

willy1der

Thanks for the advise,with the help of a friend and 20 minits I managed to catch the little bugger,got him in a 10g and treating with furan 2.Im a little hesitant to add him back to my tank even after treating but if I do, how long after would you say its safe to reintroduce him? thanks again!!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Do the full treatment, 10 days, and only put him back in if you see he is fully healed. Fins don't take long to heal atal.

Keep your daily water change schedule religiously. You don't want to lose the fish. Also if you feel worried about him use PRIME to help neutralize ammonia etc.

Good luck!
Maybe post a pic of two off the fish so we can see how bad it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.