Finally caught my killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Was finally able to bait this cock sucker after he's wiped out a boatload of fish:

2 anthias
2 chromis
Blue hippo
Cleaner wrasse
Coral beauty

Now that I can get a good shot of him he's missiń a claw. Anyone I'd him? I was thinking xanthid?

jroovers

Super Active Member
wow, that's quite the rap sheet!  you must be happy as heck.  How'd you catch him?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have an exact same crab in my tank.. same color and everything, looks to only have 1 big claw with the black tip like that.. they look to be gorilla crabs like you said. I've been trying to catch the bugger for a while with no luck, he never seems to leave this piece of live rock its hollowed out, and its too big for me to remove.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
He's going to the lfs. I used a Gatorade bottle made a trap. Put in a piece of shrimp and left it leaning against the rock he hides in upright. Woke up this morning and he was inside.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Not sure what benefit is have to him beiń in my sump as its bare. Little live rock there and my luck he'd end up in my pump.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
my pickups are all screened on my sump,i would think it would pick in between the rock and help keep any food that makes it down from rotting,i keep a small cuc in the sump,including a large brittle star

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Took your advice Phil he's in sump. Lol. Hopefully he will stay away from the pump. He's pretty big.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
pulpfiction1 link said:
even if he gets sucked into your pump,he wont make it back into your display,well maybe as red sauce,what is your return pump?

Red sauce is like cyclopeeze?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Krazykarl link said:
He's going to the lfs. I used a Gatorade bottle made a trap. Put in a piece of shrimp and left it leaning against the rock he hides in upright. Woke up this morning and he was inside.

Nicely done!

I had a crab (also an evil little xanthid) that I was trying to trap a little while ago but all I managed to trap was my goby..over and over and over...ended up taking out the rock...

How about a pic of the DIY trap?

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I tossed it out already. It was super simple. Cut of the top of the bottle and invert it into the bottle itself. Two dabs of super glue keeps it in place. He goes in but can't figure out how to escape.

Phil- I use a mag 9 to feed my DT and my gigantic protein skimmer. I aim for. Super slow pass through in the skimmer. I'm probably putting 200gph to it max. This thing skims like crazy.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
mag 9 is powerful,i doubt it would even slow down if by chance it got sucked up into it  lol

note* i do toss in a few pellets into the sump once a week as i too use socks

N

nacho

Krazykarl link said:
I tossed it out already. It was super simple. Cut of the top of the bottle and invert it into the bottle itself. Two dabs of super glue keeps it in place. He goes in but can't figure out how to escape.

Sounds very similar to the redneck 2 litre minnow trap diy. I'll keep this in mind for the future. Luckily the only invader I've ever had was a coral shredding decorator.

Status
Not open for further replies.