First Project

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am new to salt water set ups and currently only have a 20gal with about 30lbs of live rock and crushed coral for subsrate. Running a Prizm Pro Deluxe protein skimmer with a surface skimmer and refillable media basket for biological and chemical media. Purchased the whole set up for about $100.00 on kijiji. I only have a clown fish in it at the moment, but am looking to upgrade when my current project is completed. When completed, it will be a breakfast nook / bar to divide my livingroom and kitchen. I believe it will be a 60 gal tank. Will post pics as they come available, but at a halt due to finances at the moment until after Christmas.

2hzqxir.jpg

fa0s95.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
ricklalonde link said:
Looks like your off to a great start. Is your new system going to include a sump?

PS. Keep them pictures rolling. 

There is a closet right beside where this is going, so will be piping a sump in there at some point. But we all know the expenses involved in an initial set up. Plus, I do not want to go to big in the beginning. Start small and work my way up slowly so I do not get overwhelmed with the work involved. I have had fresh water tanks my whole life, so I somewhat know what I am getting into. But salt water is a completely different road.

JordanHurst

Looks like a great idea! Is the tank going to be sitting in the bottom part!?
Its gonna look really cool when done to have a tank like that!  Make sure you have easy access to get in and out!! Always something to clean or do in the tank! My canopy hangs above my tank with little room to get in when I put it up and it is a HASSEL!! sometimes cant even get a big rock out without taking the whole thing down and laying it on the floor!! haha Bad design!!!!

Good Luck!!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, the tank is going in that void allowing for viewing from the front, back and one side. The top hinges open and will be fixing the lights so the hinge up as well when needed. It is a tall tank, so I am already aware how hard it will be to clean and do not look forward to it LoL, but I am handy with tools and will make what ever I need for it. Going to bring it in the house this upcoming weekend and place the tank. Within the next few weeks I will start filling it. Keeping my fingers cross, but need to get it in before the snow falls here as it is in my shed at the moment.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here is my tank and stand in place. Sad news though, while cleaning the tank, I found some badly deteriorated spots in the silicone. I should be picking up the substrate, powerheads, heater, lighting, and salt next weekend. The stuff that I am buying will also have a 65-70 gal tank and stand, will post pics here and on Kijiji as I will not need them. Will turn that money around into some live rock as I will need about another 30lbs or so for the new tank. Going to get a Fluval filter soon after. When this tank is set up, I will tear down my old tanks and use one as a sump which will be piped to the closet beside the tank through the wall. Still keeping my fingers cross to see how this turns out.

n187xu.jpg

2ih55k4.jpg

2qcjhp0.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Finally done and stocked. 45 gallon tank, 20 gallon sump. No idea what my return pump is at the moment, still need to look it up as it came out of a wet/dry filter. Just over 100lbs of LR, some live rubble in sump. Prizm protein skimmer.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks crazybizzle, still have some to do on it, but at least it is up and running. Still want to run electrical through it so I do not have to deal with a powerbar and get a new top for it. Have a friend who will redo my bar stool material.

C

crazybizzle

Torx link said:
Thanks crazybizzle, still have some to do on it, but at least it is up and running. Still want to run electrical through it so I do not have to deal with a powerbar and get a new top for it. Have a friend who will redo my bar stool material.

as long as top is sturdy i would just tile it or if u wanna keep the wood look get some stain or laminate interlock tiles, as for bar stool go to fabricland get foot a vinyl any colour 10 bucks staple gun on bottom spray glue up top all set, or if u really want xs cargo new swivel bar seats up and down height 25 bucks.. i bought 5 of em for my bar .

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
xs cargo new swivel bar seats??? Google didn't give me anything specific, but for 25$, sounds good so far.

Thanks pulpfiction1, still a lot of cosmetics to get done though

C

crazybizzle

Torx link said:
xs cargo new swivel bar seats??? Google didn't give me anything specific, but for 25$, sounds good so far.

Thanks pulpfiction1, still a lot of cosmetics to get done though

yep xs cargo for the seats all black and chrome with the seat riser switch and swivels get em quick cause every week they sell out of them i waited every week to try and get em for a month i like em def. good at that price

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here is what is growing...

Would appreaciate actual names of the corals if you know them. I am horrible for forgetting and at least if they are written here, I can refer back.

sorry for all the posts, was having issues with the attachments.