First Time Buying

Tiredguy

So after a a tank crash while on a holiday I've started thinking about buying a controller, Problem being,,, I just took one holiday and have another 3 week holiday coming up in June, funds are tight,, not to mention i'm in the process of setting up a new 75gal tank and moving everything over. I need something that will be able to email me and let me know of any issues.. i've been taking a very close look at seneye reef,,, I can pick one up for $230 new, measures temp, ph. ammonia... also has a nice par meter built in for better placement of corals...

Honest my budget sits at only $300 for something to help me monitor my tank from the other side of the world. I've looked at used,,, but not sure where to start...

any other good cheap systems i should look at?? and where to buy?

thanks

SamB

Super Active Member

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
So after a a tank crash while on a holiday I've started thinking about buying a controller, Problem being,,, I just took one holiday and have another 3 week holiday coming up in June, funds are tight,, not to mention i'm in the process of setting up a new 75gal tank and moving everything over. I need something that will be able to email me and let me know of any issues.. i've been taking a very close look at seneye reef,,, I can pick one up for $230 new, measures temp, ph. ammonia... also has a nice par meter built in for better placement of corals...

Honest my budget sits at only $300 for something to help me monitor my tank from the other side of the world. I've looked at used,,, but not sure where to start...

any other good cheap systems i should look at?? and where to buy?

thanks
The seneye reef is only a monitor not a controller

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The Jr will work for the basics, so long as you are just looking for a way to set up alarms and basic controls. Having 4 outlets is a big draw back. Almost everyone I have ever met who bought a Jr very quickly realize the unlimited potential and advantages to running a controller, but are limited by the Jr. They end up spending more then they would have in the first place for upgrades, or just sell the Jr and get a full Apex.

If you are up to a little more of a challenge, then Reef Angel has a controller as well. It is a lot less then Apex, but it comes with very poor support IMO. It also is more difficult to program.

Joshbrookkate

I would like to add....
I bought an Apex to cover my time away from my tank, too. My advice is to make sure you give yourself lots of time to really get to know how to configure it. I am no computer whiz. And I am finding setting it up a lot slower than I had hoped. What I have been able to get set up is AWESOME but I thought I'd be so much further ahead by now. Absolutely no regrets about buying the unit but it takes time to set up right.
If it was me, with your budget, I'd get the Apex Jr. NOW and get to know it and set up the basics. Give yourself enough time to configure and test before you go. If and when you find yourself able to upgrade to the Apex Full, you'll be ahead of the learning curve. And you can sell the Jr. Unit.
Good luck.

zoomster

Someday I hope to get an Apex ( The Lincoln of controllers! ) but I currently have a ReefKeeper Lite with some upgrades ( modules, extra power bars ect. )
If you look at the "ReefKeeper Elite", I believe It has most of what you are looking for and really need from a controller, is easy to program ( I am a bit dumb with computers and even I figured out MOST of it ) and is very expandable and reasonably priced. IMO.
Just my $.02

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
what about one of these ?

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Seneye-Home.html

seneye-home-canada.png

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread but it appears like everything else. You might as well buy the best because it'll be cheaper in the long run.