fish food

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro069

Getting on time to buy some new fish food and wondering what you all use to feed your fish. currently I am feeding my fish tetra marine saltwater flakes once a day and every third day I feed San Francisco Bay Brand® Sally's Frozen Marine Cuisine and spot feed my corals reefcleaners filter feeder food.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nitro069 link said:
Getting on time to buy some new fish food and wondering what you all use to feed your fish. currently I am feeding my fish tetra marine saltwater flakes once a day and every third day I feed San Francisco Bay Brand® Sally's Frozen Marine Cuisine and spot feed my corals reefcleaners filter feeder food.

PE Mysis daily here, i've been using big als brand mysis in there sometimes also, its really affordable and they both are quality frozen foods, i also feed new life spectrum pellets as they are considered one of the best, and i occasionally give my tangs nori and some live calupera from my sump. They make a double pack of PE Mysis and Cyclopeze, which is great for both fish and corals and a good deal too.

harleymike

Super Active Member
i was using some flaked stuff and pellets. Now i mainly use frozen brine shrimp, assorted frozen packs, and squid frozen packs.
They seem too like it best, and less mess i think.
Also, anythihg the fish dont get goes too the anemone's and others.  Not as much is wasted.
I think i will start feeding exclusively frozen foods.

MIke

spyd

Super Active Member
I rotate feedings. PE Mysis and nori one day, then Omega One marine flakes and New Life Spectrum pellets the other day. I feed my corals and fish Cyclopeez once a week and the odd, odd, odd time I will feed Reef Chili to some smaller mouthed corals.

msteane

My tank gets a mix of omega one marine flakes, NLS 1mm pellets and frozen brine or mysis shrimp.  About every other day the tangs get some dried seaweed.  Twice a week I add some frozen cyclopeeze and phyto for the corals and filter feeders.

nitro069

hmmmm........since all of us are using frozen food it seems, how do you go about, or do u, rinse your frozen food?I read somewhere that frozen food could be loaded with phosphates. last time i tried rinsing mine it was a total p.i.t.a. and lost more than i used so i didn't do that again.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jerry_doucette link said:
I rinse my frozen food in a small fish net with ro water.

me too, you need a brine shrimp net to not loose any.

nitro069

Duke link said:
[quote author=jerry_doucette link=topic=3947.msg35281#msg35281 date=1357610586]

[/quote]

dare I say.......................genius

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nitro069 link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3947.msg35288#msg35288 date=1357611445]
[quote author=jerry_doucette link=topic=3947.msg35281#msg35281 date=1357610586]

[/quote]

dare I say.......................genius
[/quote]

not my idea at all.. its pretty much the normal i think, i had used a filter sock prior to that and before that i would take about 2 cups of tank water and throw the frozen cube in that, swirl it around it till all melts and let the food settle out on the bottom, then i used a pipette to suck it all up. leaving 2 cups of dirty water in the cup and only maybe 4ml of really watered down dirty water.. its just alot more work. those small cheapo filter bags from petsmart work perfect too and there only like 2 bucks becuase i doubt they sell brine shrimp nets there.

spyd

Super Active Member
First off, I chop my mysis into cube size pieces. I go through piles of mysis so I don't buy the cubes... Too expensive. I go after the 40oz packages when they are on sale.  :D

My feeding tool of choice is a Turkey baster. I pull off the end, throw in 2 chunks of frozen mysis and re-attch the end. I then suck up some tank water, cover the tip of the baster with my finger and swirl the water around in the bottom end of the baster. It thaws out the mysis in about a minute. Then, I shoot the mysis into a fish net to drain all the polluted water. Take the base off the baster again and drop in the clean ball of mysis back into the base. Connect the base back on the back of the baster, suck up some more water. Cover the tip of the baster with my finger, tip it right side up and stick the tip of the baster in to my display and start feeding the fish.

By using the baster, I can control how much mysis is being dropped into the tank at a time. This way, the fish can consume all most every piece before it hits the bottom of the tank. Then, I just blast a little more in. I can also target feed corals with the baster or spread out the mysis so my smaller fish can get some.

I know it sounds like a process, but honestly, it takes me a few minutes of actual prep time before feeding. I also use my baster to feed flake food. Just take off the back, dump in some flakes, put the back on the baster, suck up some tank water and start feeding the fish. Again, I can control the amount being dropped in the tank at one time. Also, it prevents the flakes floating at the top of the water and just being sucked down the overflow. Also, prevents fish jumping for the food and ending up on the carpet...

Also, I use the turkey baster to blast off the rock in my tank to prevent dietritus build up. It is a GREAT tool!!!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Big Show has a big Al s dish food holder.. I'm not sure of the proper name.. But it's ingenious. It's essentially a ring that floats on the surface and keeps all the food from going down the overflow, if Aaron sees this, do u guys carry those too?

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Duke link said:
Big Show has a big Al s dish food holder.. I'm not sure of the proper name.. But it's ingenious. It's essentially a ring that floats on the surface and keeps all the food from going down the overflow, if Aaron sees this, do u guys carry those too?
i have one of those from coral reef shop  Its a floating fish food sqauare  mine has a suction cup so it stays put in one place

Status
Not open for further replies.