Fishless Cycle

Goodfight

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to do a fishless cycle but I've been adding fishfood daily for 8 days and I'm still getting 0 ammonia. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Using Ammonia would do a better job of creating a fishless cycle. It takes quite a while for food to decompose to make the ammonia and usually people use a piece of frozen shrimp (like we eat) instead of fish food. If you like I can send you a copy of the Ammonia cycle method. It is very easy and is easy to see the results of your cycle. You must use ammonia with no additives. I got mine at Walmart in the cleaning section. PM me if interested.

Goodfight

OK. Thanks. I was trying to do it without adding any ammonia, but I ordered some today. :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
The food you have entered will eventually break down and start the cycle going but it will be difficult to reproduce the correct amount to add when you need the levels to go up again. A true cycle has the Ammonia levels go up and down several times while the bacteria grow and multiply then the nitrifying bacteria start dealing with the Nitrates and grow and multiply. Only doing it once doesn't guarantee that the cycle is complete.

Goodfight

Okay. So I added ammonia a week ago. Ammonia was 2.0 ppm. A few days later I tested and it was 0 ppm ammonia and 0.50 ppm nitrite. Figured the nitrogen cycle was doing its thing. But now my tank is showing zero ammonia, zero nitrite but also zero nitrate?? What does that mean?

Wagonpitt

Might have cycled . Add amonia again and if its gone within a day then its cycled. Wait for someone else to confirm but this is from what ive read befor

shamous113

Here's a copy of the fish less cycle that @yveterinarian has provided to people before. note the temp listed in the last paragraph is for seahorses. and don't chase ph.

Attachments

• fishless cycle(1).pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 176

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Add ammonia a few times to make sure that the tank is returning to 0 ppm for both ammonia and nitrates within 24 hours. Once it is, do a large water change and you will be ready to stock. And, yes, the temp listed was for seahorses as they need a much lower temp than other tropical fish and corals.