Fixing Chinese LED fixture - bulbs blew

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Blue string...you can see the missed LEDs that run on a diagonal. I had previously just used a jumper wire to bypass them, but more have gone and fear that the loss of some LEDs are causing more to go.

20131002_143814_zpsa7e32a0d.jpg

Jumper wires that I was using to bypass the dead LED

20131002_143826_zpsb45b92b8.jpg

I cut the LED wires as close to the LED as possible and pried off the LED. Came off pretty clean actually.

20131002_144015_zps6f8d1727.jpg

Spot of thermal paste from computer repairs that I had laying around

20131002_144050_zps5ed47f33.jpg

Had a few left over LED's from my Auquastyleonline.com order

20131002_144107_zps72aa212d.jpg

After cutting the wires, they just fell off the star. They are only attached by the wires and thermal paste. I did mark the + and - on the LED before cutting the LED off the star. The fixture board was nice enough to have the + and - labeled :)

20131002_144230_zpsd0aa6bfd.jpg

Then a simple solder and we are back up and running. I replaced 4 bulbs, luckily I had 5 from my last project. Unfortunately the ones I replaced were whites on a blue string, but worked none the less. 

20131002_144413_zpsdfb6e6a4.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ummm,  I was one of the first with my 72 dimmable kit from aquastyleonline, and then a retrofit on my nanocube from rapidled. Hoping to do a 90led dimmable from aquastyleonline before xmas

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Torx link said:
Ummm,  I was one of the first with my 72 dimmable kit from aquastyleonline, and then a retrofit on my nanocube from rapidled. Hoping to do a 90led dimmable from aquastyleonline before xmas

I also have my aqua style DIY kit running for years no problems since the original group buy, no issues with it whatsoever
:)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Torx link said:

the tank in the counter iirc, that was sweet.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Torx link said:

I remember nothing of the sort!

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
Are those aquariumled.com lights?  If not they look similar.  I had the same issue.  You can pick up the leds from ebay for cheap search for 450nm beads  un-soldier the old and add the new.  They burn out because of the increased MW of the driver and thin heatsink.  apply a drop of thermal grease on the bottom when you replace them.  highter quality fixtures will have 55 leds and cut the MW to run the led at 2watts these are run at 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-3w-Power-LED-Beads-450nm-Blue-for-LED-plant-grow-light-lamp-Hot-New-/261205073196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd1091d2c

tdb320reef

Website
www.coralfragz.com
One other note get to aa batteries and rig together to make a led tester.  test all of the blue leds and replace the once that respond dim.  I like this over a Multi meter because it will light the up enough to tell if they are degraded.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oooo, nice cheap replacement bulbs. I have replaced all the dim ones. I do have a AA battery tester that I use to test them individually and it works great. Thanks for the additional insight and info for others as well.

saltydog

I dont have the blue replacement LEDs hoping someone would have all that and be able to fix for some cash