Flatworm Infestation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I think I have developed a flatworm infestation...

Originally thought that this was some sort of algae until I looked closer.

Has anyone won this battle?

My understanding is that these aren't necessarily harmful.

I do have a couple wrasses, but obviously they have not been eating them as there is a significant population.

I have read that "Flat-Worm Exit" works, but to be careful about the toxin released from the flatworms as it can wipe a tank if not careful. I believe it is best to siphon as many first, treat, carbon and water change. This will be my tentative plan. As well as a better quarantine practice ;)

Any suggestions to best manage this?

Also.. anyone want a frag! :D

P

phi delt reefer

tyler - consult with darryl - you can use dog medication (interceptor) to safely remove kill the flatworms. Though you will kill all your inverts with the treatment.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
i didnt see the pic you posted....you dont have any acros do you? those are red bugs...pretty sure interceptor is your only option to kill those..

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To me.. they look more like Flat worms. Hard to say 100% without a macro pic.

I suggest just lowering nutrients (skimming, water changes etc.) and increase water flow. This sometimes is enough to wipe out the population. 

P

phi delt reefer

siphon out as many as you can first though - i would be afraid of blowing them around.

you may want to add an extra couple power heads to your system if you are going to push over to heavy sps.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
phi delt reefer link said:
siphon out as many as you can first though - i would be afraid of blowing them around.

you may want to add an extra couple power heads to your system if you are going to push over to heavy sps.

good point, I will try to get as many of these out before I start blowing things around.

I have pretty decent flow but have purposely created a few low flow areas for a mixed reef. I agree that another powerhead producing more flow is always better.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey guys.....these are red planaria or common name red flatworms.  They are not red bugs or AEFW (acro eating flatworms).  If you have to get a pest be glad you got theses guys.  They pose no threat to your tank other than the fact that the population can grow to plague proportions.

I'm a bit surprised that your wrasse haven't taken care of this problem.  But anyway these guys like areas with low flow and plenty of detritius.  In clean systems with lots of flow these would not grow to large populations.  You may find tyler that the problem will go away on its own...or by just keeping the tank a bit cleaner with more flow.  But if these guys pose an on going problem, salifert flatworm exit can be used and is reef safe and will not effect other invertebrates from what I remember.  Also siphoning them out can help.  Only be concerned with the toxins if you use the exit and kill tons of them with out siphoning them out (before or after).

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This is good news that they are harmless!  I will go with the advice that these are flatworms and go with the following plan...

1. Siphon out most visible flatworms
2. Increase water-changes
3. Improve flow

Hopefully my wrasse can stay on top of these, so I will ramp up my water changes and give it about a month or so before taking other measures i.e. Flatworm Exit

I will keep people posted with my tanks progress.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
I'm a bit surprised that your wrasse haven't taken care of this problem.  But anyway these guys like areas with low flow and plenty of detritius.

yea..thats why i was kinda worried they might be red bugs...but hes got no acros apperently

Status
Not open for further replies.