Flow For A 6ft Tank

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I adjusted/moved my wavemakers as I was getting bald spots on the bottom of my tank from sand being blown away. Can’t seem to get decent flow throughout the tank now. For those with a 6ft tank, what are you using for flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale

i have the gyre 280.. and its pretty good but i have to keep my rock low or it blocs the current but i only need 1 at 1 end so its super stealth...

Kman

Super Active Member
I run two MP60 one on the left top corner and the right corner (about 8 inches in from the front glass and 8 inches down from the water line) and a MP40 back right corner. I run the MP40 at about 80% and the MP60 at about 50%. To help stop sand from blowing away you need to place small rocks in the highest flow spots in the substrate to help force the flow up and over the substrate and not blast on it. Sometimes you need a few.

TheGreenStag

i use 2 MP40s one on each side of the tank and run them at 100%. I also use a CP40 at full speed to provide flow at the back of my live rocks to avoid detritus settling in....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheGreenStag

All you people with your fancy, expensive MP40s! Guess my sunsun and cp40 aren’t enough. @TheGreenStag is your cp40 on the back wall? Horizontal or vertical?

LOL...my 2 mp40s are on the side walls Left and Right...for long time i ran Jebao WP60 but that was just big to look at...finally treated myself last year...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
My mind kept going back to the Coral Box QP pumps, so decided to order one yesterday (QP-9). For anyone interested in a review, check this out.
It’s a bit long winded, but gives a good idea what these pumps are all about.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Qp-9 arrived yesterday. Moves a ton of water, and is truly silent. I’ve tried many brands/models of powerheads over the years (jebao, sicce, hydor, sun sun, fluval), and coral box is hands down the best. This is the only powerhead I’ve owned that is silent. Can’t even hear it changing speeds on random/reef mode. Might just be the “perfect” powerhead I’ve spent years looking for!

kapelan

Qp-9 arrived yesterday. Moves a ton of water, and is truly silent. I’ve tried many brands/models of powerheads over the years (jebao, sicce, hydor, sun sun, fluval), and coral box is hands down the best. This is the only powerhead I’ve owned that is silent. Can’t even hear it changing speeds on random/reef mode. Might just be the “perfect” powerhead I’ve spent years looking for!
did you try cross flow?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
did you try cross flow?

I have the cp-40 on the left back wall, facing right, running constant speed (too noisy when on random mode). Qp-9 is on the right back wall, facing left on random mode. All kinds of flow throughout the tank now. Think I might replace the crossflow with another qp-9.