Fluval Evo 13.5 Light Upgrade

SaltyScott

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade the light in my fluval Evo 13.5 next month and I'm wondering who has had good luck with this in the past. I don't want to break the bank here, it's not a deep aquarium so I feel like I can get away with more budget friendly LEDs. Two of the ones I'm lookin at are this aquaknight:
https://www.amazon.ca/LED-Aquarium-...QL65&keywords=led+aquarium+light+marine&psc=1

And this vivaspecta:
https://www.amazon.ca/VIPARSPECTRA-...VX46H8D5SEZ&psc=1&refRID=VETADXS8TVX46H8D5SEZ

Any suggestions? The vivaspectra is a whopping 165 watts, but I can raise it as high as I want as I'm going to hang from the ceiling . But it's also more expensive.

I'm looking at growing mostly softies and maybe some LPS, maybe eventually try my hand at SPS, but not anytime soon.

Thanks guys!

WiredWeasel

Alexanneka

I been running my evo for about 3 months now, have kept all sorts of corals under the stock light. Currently have a massive nps yellow finger gorg doing pretty well compliments of @reefdiver , have mushrooms, acans, favia and about 15 varieties of zoas. Have had torches and hammers in there too. Personally i like the stock light and hood as it limits evap but had an issue in that it wasnt a programmable light....cue amazon for 20 bucks i found a inline led programmable timer, has ramp up and down, however does not auto switch to blues. I figured for the capability of light it was pointless to drop a couple hundred on a new light and then deal with evap etc. Still have an ato hooked up so it makes the tank pretty painless in regards of husbandry. Once a week water change and once a month cleaning and media swap.

P.s.- also kept some basic sps in there also. Had a couple of montis just to see if i could get good polyp extension and it was great.

NICREW Single Channel LED Light Timer for Aquarium, LED Digital Dimmer for NICREW ClassicLED, ClassicLED Plus, BrightLED and Other Lights with Standar https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L64J9LC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_oJInwFZypi7lA

Attachments

• 20190209_191146.jpg
    20190209_191146.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 20190209_015706.jpg
    20190209_015706.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 20190202_200932.jpg
    20190202_200932.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 368

SaltyScott

I been running my evo for about 3 months now, have kept all sorts of corals under the stock light. Currently have a massive nps yellow finger gorg doing pretty well compliments of @reefdiver , have mushrooms, acans, favia and about 15 varieties of zoas. Have had torches and hammers in there too. Personally i like the stock light and hood as it limits evap but had an issue in that it wasnt a programmable light....cue amazon for 20 bucks i found a inline led programmable timer, has ramp up and down, however does not auto switch to blues. I figured for the capability of light it was pointless to drop a couple hundred on a new light and then deal with evap etc. Still have an ato hooked up so it makes the tank pretty painless in regards of husbandry. Once a week water change and once a month cleaning and media swap.

P.s.- also kept some basic sps in there also. Had a couple of montis just to see if i could get good polyp extension and it was great.

NICREW Single Channel LED Light Timer for Aquarium, LED Digital Dimmer for NICREW ClassicLED, ClassicLED Plus, BrightLED and Other Lights with Standar https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L64J9LC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_oJInwFZypi7lA[/

Awesome! Thanks for the info, if I can save a few bucks that way, then that's what I'll do. That digital dimmer is a great idea! I also have an ATO so I wasn't too worried about evaporation but still, I'm all about saving money to put into corals and other things I may need. Glad to hear I can even attempt SPS under that light. Baby steps though, lol.

RobH.

So I have the evo with the stock light and also ave the aquaknight on another tank imo just stick with the stock and lid that fits it the stock light isn't really that bad . If you do want to swap it save up for the prime or a kessil.

Jamesontricker

I heard the hipagero, aqua knight was decent and very budget friendly at about 85$ canadian. I currently have a black box on my 20g but debating on getting 2 of those bad boys

SaltyScott

I heard the hipagero, aqua knight was decent and very budget friendly at about 85$ canadian. I currently have a black box on my 20g but debating on getting 2 of those bad boys

Yeah the aquaknight looks decent. But I keep looking at the AI Prime and I know it's more than I want to spend but... Damn... Impulse buying is dangerous in this hobby.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Imo don’t go kessil maybe atleast not the a160 I’ve always had issues , imo if you’re looking to save money find a light you can work on , and replace parts , @Shooter000 i think he uses mars black box ? He’s the guy to talk to I mean look at his tank pics and he doesn’t use top of the line brand lights ,

Never owned kelo I hear they are good , if I could go back I’d get them over kessil , imo they beat is a hybrid (I know it’s probably out of your budget) but you’ll get waayyyyy more life out of your leds but a lot of stores use the hybrids because it’s a piece of mind that the coral is getting the best / verity light they can get from the t5s and the leds

Jamesontricker

If I had the cash I wouldn't get anything higher then a air prime, it has all the fancy stuff I want and grows it all. Currently I'm using a wattshine black box for 85$ it's complete overkill for what I need haha and basic as a light can come. Hope that gives you a rough idea just trying to help :)