Food That Kills

Skim

The thing about NLS is that in the USA any frozen fish that is imported has to have it as a preservative and to quote the guy who wrote the article
" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals. I have not been able to recieve an Ethoxyquin free statement from NLS.

Skim

Just a quick follow up as I emailed NLS and this is what the response was.

Preservatives and Why They Are Necessary

Mentioning the topic of pet food preservatives seems to cause a lengthy debate in almost any pet-keeping circle, especially if the use of ethoxyquin comes up.

The whole ethoxyquin scare started from a single rumour, which became so blown out of proportion via internet chat forums that it eventually turned into another urban myth. The only reason that this preservative ever came into question, was due to a study performed on rats back in 1987 where the dose level of 5,000 ppm ethoxyquin, which is FAR higher than approved levels in pet food, suggested a carcinogenic potential. Ethoxyquin has since been blamed for a myriad of problems, none of which have ever been proven.

Considering the outcry over this preservative by dog owners worldwide, one would think that by now there would be a plethora of data/studies that actually proved that this preservative caused at least some type of long-term health issue in pets. There is not a single documented case where ethoxyquin used at approved levels has been found to cause any type of long term negative health condition in a dog, cat, fish, or otherwise. One would think that with all of the hysterical anti-ethoxyquin crusades that have taken place over the past 20 yrs or so that at least one non-biased study would be able to prove that this substance can cause serious long term health issues in pets, even when used at appropriate or approved levels. Yet to date, there is not a single shred of scientific evidence that supports such a view.

The fact is that this single preservative has probably saved countless lives of pets from suffering from serious health issues caused by rancid fat.

Without preservatives the oil found in fish food would become rancid in very short order. What many hobbyists do not understand is that all fish meal based products will contain ethoxyquin. There is simply no getting around that. The manufacturer may have ethoxyquin listed on their label as a preservative, yet may, or may not even be adding this ingredient at their end. New Life International Inc. does not directly add ethoxyquin to any of our foods.

The United States Coast Guard regulations (Subpart 148.04 -9) requires any vessel entering US waters that contains fish meal, to have the fish meal preserved with ethoxyquin. This is required by law for the safety and health issues that can arise if fish meal is not preserved properly. I personally know of no manufacturer that makes their own in-house fish meal on site, which means that if fish meal is being used in a food, any type of pet food, there will be at least a small amount of ethoxyquin in the final formula.

When used accordingly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using ethoxyquin as a preservative. The FDA approved the use of ethoxyquin as a preservative for both humans and pets, and for decades the maximum amount allowed in pet food was 150 PPM.

In July 1997, after assessing the results of the latest study on ethoxyquin, the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine asked that the maximum amount of the preservative be voluntary reduced to 75 parts per million in complete dog foods. The FDA stated that the earlier limit of 150 ppm "may not provide an adequate margin of safety in lactating female dogs and possibly puppies." The reason being that lactating female dogs generally consume far more food (2-3 times) than non lactating females, hence an increased level of every substance in any food will occur. The study showed ethoxyquin levels of 150 ppm had no adverse health effects at maintenance levels, but that by reducing the max amount to 75 ppm it would create an additional safety margin for lactating females and their puppies.

To date, the FDA has found no scientific or medical evidence that ethoxyquin used at approved levels is injurious to human or animal health. Also, the FDA has found no documentation of the claims of harm to any animal. Not even one.

Please keep in mind that almost everything and anything can become toxic at high enough levels, including fat-soluble vitamins. No nutritionist would recommend completely eliminating vitamin A, B, D, E and K from the diet just because high levels can be toxic, yet this exact type of logic is what's used when most people discuss preservatives such as ethoxyquin. When used in small amounts to prevent rancidity, preservatives are valuable and important components of the diet.

Makes me wonder what kind of levels could we get in a closed Aquarium that is fed 2 to 4 times a day and ad in what may come back from fish waste. I wonder what kind affects it has on Corals and Infert's?

paratilapia

How would we know for sure which food is ethoxyquin free??? Facts or I read it somewhere, like the presidential election this year?

paratilapia

" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals." According to skim.

Free ethoxyquin means "ZERO ETHoXYQUIN" absence of of ethoxyquin means "NO ETHOXYQUIN".

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals." According to skim.

Free ethoxyquin means "ZERO ETHoXYQUIN" absence of of ethoxyquin means "NO ETHOXYQUIN".

If they are not using ethoxyquin then just what are they using as a preservative. Could be something worse

lindybug

This from their website: "No preservative" and "100% filler free"

Only the highest marine grade proteins and additives are used in all of NorthFin’s product line. NorthFin does not use any low grade ingredients or fillers. NorthFin Premium Fish Foods are artificial pigment free and has no added hormones.

NorthFin products are manufactured in a CFIA /USDA/FDA registered and certified facility located in Toronto, Canada.

Manufacturing Process:

NorthFin uses a state of the art, low heat Steam Extrusion process to manufacture its premium product line.

NorthFin’s Double Screw Steam Extrusion process is a gentle form of cooking ingredients. This is beneficial for nutrients and vitamins to be kept intact right through the finished product. Meanwhile a conventional dry extruding process degrades and destroys significant percentages of nutrients and vitamins.

NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line.

The combination of certain ingredients/vitamins, along with the drying process itself allows the foods to be naturally preserved.

All of NorthFin’s Premium Product Line consist on formulas which are 100% Filler Free, By-Product Free, Artificial Pigment Free and has no added hormones.

Last edited:

paratilapia

skim said"" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals. I have not been able to receive an Ethoxyquin free statement from NLS.I found this at Reef central about north fin http://test.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2516719&page=2. Lab.test showed Northfin contain ethoxyquin.

31459182442_0f0029d743_b.jpg

Skim

skim said"" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals. I have not been able to receive an Ethoxyquin free statement from NLS.I found this at Reef central about north fin.
Actually I quoted someone and if you look I did state," I quote " the guy who wrote the article.

The thing about NLS is that in the USA any frozen fish that is imported has to have it as a preservative and to quote the guy who wrote the article
" I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals. I have not been able to recieve an Ethoxyquin free statement from NLS.

lindybug

Fair enough, skim. What I don't understand is that why do they say NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line? They should have known their product can be easily tested for ethoxyquin.

Skim

I not sure, before I switched to NorthFin I spoke with them and they assured me that they No Preservatives to the mix. Now at that time they also told me all the ingredients where all Canadian supplied. I have heard now a couple of times that 80 - 90% is Canadian supplied so maybe that is where it is coming from. From what I understand Canada does not use Ethoxyquin as a Preservative. Well I guess I will have to do some digging.

lindybug

But they using antarctic krill aren't they? From south pole to Canada is maybe 8,000 miles. How did the krill get to Canada? It's a dead give away statements. Where did you get the info. that Canada does not use preservative? How did Canada suppliers preserved the marine protein from going rancid? It might not be etoxyquin, but it is a more natural preservative. But no preservative is completely misleading claim by their website.

Skim

I can see that this is gong south fast as it looks to be a NorthFin lynching. For myself I have found it to be the best food I have used. The food that I used before was NLS and Omega one, both are good foods but NorthFin I found to be better. I found the Colours became more intense and richer even after using NLS, the food tends to float around longer and my Naso and Moorish Idol like that, it also stays in tacked longer and does not crumble. The thing that really sold me was when I seen my Naso poop, now if you have not seen as Naso poop, he leaves a trail and when using Omega Flake, ( which they loved, both Marine and Super Kelp ) the way it went in is the way it look coming out, Flake like poop. I do not know what kind of binding agent they use but you can also feel it is a tough Flake. Now with NorthFin when the poop machine goes it is like a dust and a few solid pieces that dissipate in the current and its gone on its way to the skimmer, so digestion wise it is amazing. NLS Flake is also a great food, I just found that much of it would get stuck in and around the rock work but I believe it to be the best Flake Food, it is the best I have used because you can see the results.
Now as how did the Krill get to Canada, I am not sure but I assume by boat/ship and if it was a Canadian ship chance are they did not use Ethoxyquin, because from what I understand Canada and some other Countries have band the use of it.
What dose Canadian suppliers of Marine Meal use for a preservative? Have not got a clue.
A more Natural Preservative, well from what I read on there site you are right, but I guess they should have worded things a little different because they do say they do not add any additional preservatives and that the Vitamin C and E are what they depend on for the preservative.
In the end I have stated some of the reasons why I use NorthFin and why I think its the best food but there are many more that feel the same in Canada and in the US just check out YouTube.
I was just over at RC to see this post. Don't you find it kind of funny lindybug that the person that posted that lab test, calcium king, joined on Dec 2009 and the only post he ever made from that point was on 12/12/2016 and it was the lab test. No Hello post no nothing just this one single post after 7 supposed years he chose the post on NorthFin and never said a thing and out of the blue wipes up a lab test about NorthFin. Could it be? Ya maybe, but I find something fishy going on here, or is just me?

lindybug

No one is questioning the product. It is the false claim of " EQ free " statement over and over again on the internet. The chatters are becoming very loud.
Where did you get the info. that Canada have different set of rules in regard to EQ?
IMHO, Calcium king is doing a public service to keep the company honest.
I hope we can have a civil dialogue for the greater good of the hobby.

Skim

Well I have posted why I use the food and I still will. I do not own the company or work for them but I have contacted them and directed them to Lab test post and they say they where not a where off it, and will be looking into it. I am done with this and if you have more questions pick up the phone and call NorthFin Canada or NorthFin USA or email them.