For the shooters - Anyone reload ammo?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I did up a wee vid of my brass cleaning setup.  Probably one of the safest ways considering primers have lead in them, and tumbling in dry media can shoot a ton of lead dust in the air, plus this makes them reeeeeaaaalllll shiny. 

All you non shooters, just go back to fawning over justin trudeau.  ;)

[youtube]52ztM_5fGJU[/youtube]

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
cool! what does the equipment cost and is it really worth your time?
if im shooting 7.62x 39 i dont think it would be work it considering the price...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
We used to do our own shotgun shells, would definitely see it being more worth while now that prices have gone up on ammo.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
cool! what does the equipment cost and is it really worth your time?
if im shooting 7.62x 39 i dont think it would be work it considering the price...

Nope, most of the 7.62 is steel cased corrosive, you can't reload it anyway (and it's dirt cheap). 

For my .223 it's not worth it either right now with all the Chinese ammo, basically $.25 a round to buy, or $.40 a round to reload.  That said Chinese ammo likely will not stay cheap forever, and if they lift the ban on it in the US, we won't be able to find anything, the NRA has them so sure that obama is coming to take their guns, they are buying EVERYTHING.  So for now I clean and store the brass.  Someday, if ammo is scarce, it will likely be cost effective again. 

For some of the other rounds, like .357 and .45 it's almost the same price, reloading or buying factory reloads.  It's cheaper than premium ammunition though to reload.  Still, if you're going to shoot anyway, and the ammo is brass, might as well keep it, clean it and tuck it away. 

The rock tumbler was ~$100ish and the media was ~$50 shipped, so for $150 you have a (more or less) neverending cleaning station.