Found A Few Of These In The Sump Tonight

Anthony

Any idea on what it is
20171106_205042.jpg

Anthony

Not sure if this is any better, it is s bright orange, with black in the center, approx 1mm wide, and 10mm long,
I thought bristle worms were dark in colour

Attachments

• 20171106_205041.jpg
    20171106_205041.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 266

Josh

First time i saw a bristleworm it kind of freaked me out a bit since it took a good 9-10 months before i ever even saw 1, MOST are completely harmless. However during said research on them i found there are some types with black coloring that will eat corals, beware of those and maybe look into it as you stated yours has some black on it. All my bristle worms were pinkish/white color and those are reef safe.

Picture bit too blurry to tell for you which you got.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Last tank, when i tore it down, I fonnd probably 1000 of the things, some just huge, they never did a thing. There is a nasty one that looks like it, but that one can take down fish and whatnot. Here's one that I stuck a thumb on when grabbing rocks to remove...itched for a week

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Last tank, when i tore it down, I found probably 1000 of the things, some just huge, they never did a thing. There is a nasty one that looks like it, but that one can take down fish and whatnot. Here's one that I stuck a thumb on when grabbing rocks to remove...itched for a week

Copperkills

I had to fight these little effers off when target feeding my lps...they would come out of the rockwork and steal the food lol

Anthony

other than sit there with tweezers and a flash light at night.
what is the best way to deal of them,
or to at least keep the population down?

Anthony

I do over feed (something i'm working on),
I've noticed 3 of them in my sump last night, mixed in with my macro algae, I was only able to get 2 out before I lost the third.
Just going on the premise, if i can see them, they must be a lot more in there somewhere (and I've learned that things go from, "Wow, I've never seen that before... to wtf happened???" very quickly.)

As long as I don't see any on my corals, they will stay, at least until they become an issue.

Josh

@AdInfinitum is 100% correct, their population is 100% dependant on your feeding, if you google bristleworm traps you will see a ton of homemade DIY traps you can make with bottles and some plastic tubing.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Just an FYI since amongst hobbiest you will hear all kinds of "it's a fire worm...it's a bristle worm...it's a Wangslicer worm (that group are actually the easiest to ID)"...

There are over 10000 described species of polychaete worms and many undescribed!

As a frame of reference there are around 5400 species of mammals total....