Frag tank connected to your main display tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
So i am thinking about adding a frag tank soon, and was wondering whats the pros and cons of having it connected to my main display tank or should i just make it separated?

spyd

Super Active Member
The pros are that you don't need extra equipment - sump, skimmer, etc. Also, if you are dosing Cal, Alk, etc then you only need to apply it to your entire system and not over multiple setups. Also, it provides more water capacity to your main tank which is a benefit.

The only real positive to a separate system is that you can easily treat for diseases such as red bugs, flat worms, aiptasia, etc that you want to keep out of your main tank. 

R

reeffreak

I have my frag system separate then m display and it's a royal pain in the ars. Have to do water changes on two systems, 2 skimmers running , two returns . Dosing both systems and feeding 2 systems. Having in plumbed into the main would be ideal but I ha my drag tank setup for months before I even thought about a display.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
thanks for all the info guys! also is it very difficult to connect a frag tank/sump to my main display tank? what kind of pluming would i be looking at? also what if i want to add a small tank for QT?

spyd

Super Active Member
It all depends where your frag tank would be setup. It can be as easy as teeing off your return pump, adding a valve and connecting to the frag tank. Then you drain line(s) going down to your sump. The only thing you may have to do in this case is upgrade your return pump to provide enough flow to both tanks.

As for a QT tank, they are best left as a separate system. The whole point of them is to not introduce the pests into your display tank. Plus, any use of medications could cause serious issues in your main tank.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
spyd link said:
It all depends where your frag tank would be setup. It can be as easy as teeing off your return pump, adding a valve and connecting to the frag tank. Then you drain line(s) going down to your sump. The only thing you may have to do in this case is upgrade your return pump to provide enough flow to both tanks.

As for a QT tank, they are best left as a separate system. The whole point of them is to not introduce the pests into your display tank. Plus, any use of medications could cause serious issues in your main tank.

thanks for all the useful info spyd! i think i will connect my frag tank to my main because there is way to many pros vs cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.