harleymike

Super Active Member

Victoss

Well when you say frag tank for your son, is this what he wants:
p1310688.jpg

Or this?

FrontView_October6th2005.jpg

(second one not my image)

Because a frag tank (the first image) might not be as enjoyable as it sounds for a while. The question for lighting is what do you plan on keeping, if it's softies then you could get away with anything really. For SPS the MH will work but I would hang it and not have it 3 inches from the water (that's what I'm guessing from the mounting brackets they give you) and LEDs will work too BUT I'm not familiar with the ones you linked and even the par bulbs I have I'm still trying to see how effective they are.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
http://reefbreeders.com/bridgelux_value.html

Looks identical to the one I have over my frag tank. Mine only has white and blue led though. I have bleached many things with LED, but love the unit because it is so simple and maintence free...unless it catches on fire as its from CHINA  :-\

harleymike

Super Active Member
LOL. ya no 1 image. Thats exactly what we are looking at doing.
I like that one too jerry. Im just not really knowledgable when it comes too lighting.
As far as made in china. They all probably come from there, and the names are just changed.

MIke

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yea, I dont think it is Canadian Electrical Safety approved by any means, but it has been working flawless for almost a year. It doesnt even get hot, 3 fans, 1 turns on when you flick white or blue on, when you flick both on the other fan kicks in, and then as you ramp up the dimming, the 3rd one starts. Quieter then my return pump and skimmer, and was quiter then the fans in my biocube but I recently replaced the biocube ones with some nice 12V computer fans and you cant hear a thing now on that tank :)

J

jones02

Look up reviews on the fixtures. Odyssea has a thing for starting on fire.

J

jones02

You are going to get what you pay for,n I know a couple people that got cheaper lightinng and having nothing but problems and wish they put that money to a good fixture from day 1. Don't waste money on cheap lighting or a cheap skimmer.

harleymike

Super Active Member
Are these par 38 leds any good.
I'm just not sure what too get. t5 or led.
And led i know very little about.
Or mhd and if so what wattage for a 20 gallon long tank.
thanks

AdamS

IMO, get T5, its relatively inexpensive, reliable and would be a great start for your son. LEDs are new enough that if you dont know what your doing, you can go really wrong. I dont think you want your son fighting something like lighting, let him play with dosing and lighting schedules, etc.

Just my opinion.

Adam

harleymike

Super Active Member
ya. That sounds easiest for now Adam.
I think thats what i will do.

I will run 4 x 36inch t5ho bulbs.

OK next question. Which bulbs to run. Two actinics and two whites or any suggestions.

mike

J

jones02

Ati coral plus annd ati blue plus. That's what I'm runninng annd that's what bill is also runnninnng on his sps DT

J

jones02

if you wait for boxing day you will get a good deal on a light fixture i bet. thats when i got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.