Fragging or moving sponges

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

STUEYHAWKINS

Hey everyone

Have a question on how to frag or relocate sponges.

I have a blue sponge that has a chalice coral now growing on the live rock that it is placed on.  This chalice now appears to be starting to invade and grow over my spong. Is there any safe way to frag my sponge off that rock or reattach it to another one. I have been searching YouTube and the net but can't find any good videos to help

Any instructions you can give me or links ect.

Or if anyone lives in the Markham area that wants to show me how.

Thanks for your time

Stu

S

STUEYHAWKINS

I saw this online ... do people agree with this process or have other ideas

Instructions
Attach a plastic toothpick to the rock, sharp side out, using a tank-safe epoxy like Aqua Mend (available at home and garden shops). Do this while the rock is out of the water, and allow the epoxy to dry. Keep in mind that live rock will die if it's out of the water for too long, so don't leave it out any longer than absolutely necessary for the epoxy to dry adequately.

Put the live rock back into the water. Gently slide the base of the sponge onto the toothpick, and push until the base of the sponge is touching the rock. The sponge will grow around the toothpick and onto the rock.

Monitor the sponge. Although it should receive plenty of water circulation for feeding, too much movement may knock the sponge off the toothpick and cause damage.

S

STUEYHAWKINS

Thanks for the links they were very helpful.

I think I have built up enough courage lol to do so. 

Thanks. Everyone for the help and hopefully I will have good new to report next week

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.