Fragging Question

Nick James

This applies mostly to encrusting type corals, or I suppose zoanthids as well. If a coral spreads to a large rock located at the base of your DT and you need to trim it back, how do you frag or trim in this circumstance with out ripping apart your rockwork? Are there methods for cutting chalices or Montipora corals while in the DT? Will the toxins given off by Zoas or palys pollute the tank if you used a razor blade in the DT?

I have no fragging experience and would love to hear from the experienced fraggers. Thanks in advance!

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
If your doing zoas it would be advisable to use arm gloves as you never know with them little suckers!!, and is best to try and pick them off the rock work with a pairing knife, try and get under the mat and gently lift with the knife, better than cutting or ripping off, and yes some palys could harbour bad stuff in them but more than likely to not even effect your tank unless you have some sort of crazy toxic kind,and chalice or monti won't harm your tank if you frag them, they will slime a little bit but will heal quickly...just my 2cents:)

Last edited:

Nick James

What tools would u use to frag a chalice or Monti if it was stuck to a large rock at the base of ur rock work?

nanoreefwanabe

What tools would u use to frag a chalice or Monti if it was stuck to a large rock at the base of ur rock work?
Butter knife...try and get under it and either break the rock or pry it off the rock...can't get a butter knife in there? I would fashion up something...I never have worried about putting different metals in the tank for quick fraging..I certainly would not leave in the water too long though