Fragging

heath

Distinguished Member
ok, its finally going to happen, I am going to frag my green long tentacle anemone, it is a good 12 to 16" across with 6 to 8" tentacles, my question is, do I just cut in half or quarter it...it starting to tank over 1/3 of the tank (75 gal)...thanks

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
ok, its finally going to happen, I am going to frag my green long tentacle anemone, it is a good 12 to 16" across with 6 to 8" tentacles, my question is, do I just cut in half or quarter it...it starting to tank over 1/3 of the tank (75 gal)...thanks

If it is first time fragging, it's prob not the best thing to start on. But regardless it's not overly difficult, and they heal quite quick.

Step 1. remove from rock it's on

Step 2. Lay it on a cutting board of some sort. (Piece of glass will work)

Step 3. With a brand new sharp razor blade that you rinsed carefully in RO water to remove oils.... Slice it in ideally in a single slice through the middle of the mouth. ( I suggest you start with a 1/2) go and see how it goes) try to get an even amount of mouth on each piece.

Step 4. Place in basket full of rubble with netting overtop. Or just in a low flow area out of direct light. Let it heal before exposing to direct light. As it heals introduce more flow.

If you are saying to yourself HOLY SHIT I can't do that, you can try to elastic band it on the rock tightly through the mouth and hope it does it itself.

**you may find when you frag it in half, the stress it's caused makes it frag itself again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks Jerry, Mike (reef keeper ) is actually going to be doing the cutting, I have scaples (new ones ) so they should be sharp..its a beautiful piece, just getting tooo big...it has more than doubled since I got it 6 mths ago...watched a few you tube videos and some of them say to dip it in iodine after, do you have any idea where to get it or is the stuff from a drug store ok...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Hey Heath.
I believe the iodine they are referring to is something along the lines of say KENT MARINE IODINE or a similar product.

Correct, the most common used brand being lugols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamB

Super Active Member
Great instructions Gerry ! Very detailed
Following along Heath - good luck !

hark

I'd just doing it in 4 pieces if your going too, give each section a bit of the mouth..better if yoy.have two mouths cut it in 8th's.

I used to frag anemones all the time, the first time is always the most nerve racking but you quickly realise how simple anenomes are to do.

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks everyone, the mouth is the size of a toonie so if I do 4 pieces they will roughly 4" each and have a good chunk of the mouth, some of the videos don't dip so that's why I asked...