Fresh to salt water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mommy3

What is the best way to change from fresh water to salt water

M

mommy3

I am not sure really... what would be the easiest of the two ?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: Fresh to salt water?

+1 on that

Decide if you want coral or a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) first while you get a bunch of money together as it will cost a lot to upgrade if you want corals.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: Re: Fresh to salt water?

mommy3 link said:
I am not sure really... what would be the easiest of the two ?

FOWLR is easiest IMO. But not as easy as fresh water.

Coral reef tanks is a second job in itself.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

spyd

Super Active Member
Definitely do lots of research first! Your WAY better off getting a drilled system with a sump and skimmer. It costs more but is definitely worth it. Saltwater takes a lot more time as well so just be ready for that one. There is more routine maintenance, water changes, skimmer cleaning, water tesing, etc. Also, the cost of the salt itself and the fact that you would want to purchase and RO/DI water filter, powerheads, auto top off, rock at $3 / lbs. etc. etc. It's a GREAT and rewarding hobby! I just want you to be aware of the cost difference because everything does add up. Finding a nice used setup is all ways a good start as well. It saves you piles of money as long as you know what you are looking for.

Saying all this, you can just change your tank without going to a drilled tank. You would just need a HOB skimmer instead. But all the other costs would still be there.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Fresh to salt water?

Google FOWLR .  Start reading:)

You will be investing 3-5 bucks a lb for Rock and you will need 1lb per gallon.
If you are good with water changes and stuff then that can be your filtration system.  Skimmers are recommended. Test kits are needed.  Ammonia nitrate and nitrite for saltwater.

I would start reading on google and bring specific questions to the forum.

How to set up FOWLR tank.
Saltwater tank cycling.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Fresh to salt water?

You can always get prefilter overflow boxes too instead of drilling.....these siphon the water out of your tank and down into a sump below......this is what I use and works great if you buy the right overflow box :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.