Fungus on sun coral

EquiReef

Hey guys just picked up this sun coral last week and noticed today a fungus or something on the one side. Any ideas as to what it is or what I should do?
ahuhymyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
That sponge will overvrow and kill the sun coral polyps.  Just pull the rock out of tank for a couple of minutes. It won't hurt the polyps but exposure to air will kill the sponge scraping some off while you have it out will help get air inside it.

Most sponges are beneficial filter feeders but a few are invasive.  Possibly what killed off those polyps and is causingthe recession in the others.

EquiReef

If I scrub it with something (iodine?) do you think that will help?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Not necessary IMO.  Exposure to air and some physical removal should take care of it nicely.

BTW If the Suns are not mounted  it would not be a bad idea to take them out  every few days and feed them in a separate container.  Any NPS corals that are usually a bit rough when you get them will benefit from some uninterrupted feeding.

I fill a "reef clean" yogurt container or whatever fits...half full of tank water and put them in, add some mysis and wait, stirring gently occasionally. The NPS eat their fill for however long it takes and after I return them to the tank, the remainder of the food in the container becomes the evening feeding for the rest of the tank.

NPS are excellent candidates for mounting to a magnet on your glass to allow for easy feedings.

EquiReef

I took it out and scraped the sponge off. Then brushed it with a tooth brush. the sponge wasn't on any love polyps yet thankfully. Gave it a few rinses with tank water and put it back in. I fed it about 20 mins later and it ate like always. Two mysis per polyp( fed with tweezers). It's a pretty good eater but I imagine the last owner didn't feed it very well. I had tried putting a bottle top over it but ended up trapping a hermit in there with it so that was a fail and I went back to the tweezers. Never thought of putting it in another container totally to feed.

Gluing it to a magnet sounds like an amazing idea. Just for the sake of appearance. What else can I glue to a magnet and stick to the glass?! Would love to glue my ritteri to the glass just to stop him from reaching for my toadstool  lol.

Thanks guys will keep you posted. Hoping the sponge won't come back.