Garage Renovation With Fish Room

Cliff

so I am about to start a reno on our garage and make it part of our house the garage is about 37' long and about 15' wide It is totally unfinished (bare studs) right now. We plan on removing the wall between the house and the garage after the garage is done.
I have convinced the wife to give me a small section of this new space for a fish room which will be the back of an in wall reef tank. I have a space 6 feet wide and 12 feet long that will be my fish room. (I know it's small but that's all I could manage to barter out to the wife LOL)
So I figured I would start this thread to get suggestions from everyone else. What should I make sure I have in this room?
I am thinking three dedicated circuits for the fish tank all running off of my automatic backup generator.
I would love a floor drain but I am not sure how to do this.
Currently I have a 120 frag tank on hold to go in there.
I am thinking of dividing that tank into three section 20 gallons of fresh water? Gallons of mixed saltwater? And then a 60 gallon frag tank has anyone ever done this?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I plan on splitting a 40 gallon tall into 2 sections for ato/new saltwater(not for water changes, just leveling off when bagging frags)

I plan to have my apex setup so I have 2 buttons in fish room. 2 seperate ato, each button will turn off an outlet on eb8, so it will either be ato or refill.

I would go 120 frag tank ;) get another tank for ato/water change.

I plan to run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sewerat

Super Active Member
A 120 used as/for a frag sure is deep to light and to reach your arm into to do anything with. It would be better to set that tank up with a high water small gallon side for rodi for to pup and the other side have approx 70-80 gal of premade premixed salt for water changes. The way I was going to make mine was by having an electric float set on the salt side to shut off the flow coming into the rodi side with a glass weir wall set like in a sump. Then drill holes near bottom on both sides for water out.

Cliff

Yeah. I have a 40 gal now that I use for salt water. And another 40in the garage I can use for fresh.
So what else do you guys think I should b thinking of while I get the fish room ready?

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I would contact the building permit people to make sure you are allowed to incorporate your garage into the house in this fashion and to arrange proper inspections as the renovation gets underway. There are often bylaws that we don't think about when doing this kind of renovation. If you have the proper permit and inspections then at least they can't hold up the sale of your house in the future if you ever decided to sell. Just thinking on the practical side since I have done home renovations on my own house.
On the other side...great idea for adding extra space to your home and I look forward to seeing the pictures of your progress. You may wish to incorporate a bathroom fan into the fish room to help vent off any excess moisture. You could put an adjustable humidity sensor onto it so that it could be automatic.