Ghl Vs. Apex? The People Have Spoken..

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Everyone always asks me why I use profilux vs Apex. I always tell them the Profilux has been doing what the apex has done for 10 years before the Apex even came out. GHL is far better quality with equipment you know will not be obsolete with the next new product. I have been using my profilux (older model) for just over 10 years, absolutely zero issues...and when you rely on a controller to keep your expensive living creatures safe, why settle for second best?

Here is a great unbiased thread on Reef2Reef. The masses speak for themselves. I welcome everyone to do there own research, but it's always the same conclusion.

PROFILUX OVER APEX!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/opinions-on-controller-upgrade-2016-apex-or-ghl.328727/page-3

Profilux is the best, and will always be the best choice for full automation.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'd love to have a full crazy setup of this stuff someday, if I had say $10,000 to drop on everything to replace the system I have. It's neat, looks like the equipment from a late 90's operating room.

Not really fair to compare these to either an apex or a reefkeeper, totally different monster.

**I should add that I was comparing the apex classic, with 8-outlet power bar, display and orp/ph probes ($700 CAN tax/shipped) to the "ultimate" which has head unit, 6 outlet power bar, display and 4 probes for $1359CAN (plus tax/shipping).

As BIGSHOW pointed out, if you compare to the new 2106 apex, it's over ~$1000 CAN and you really don't get anything with it, so it's on par with the new V4 mega which is $50 less.

Both points I feel are valid, as you can still buy a brand new "classic" apex (which I did a couple of weeks ago).

Last edited:

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I don't really follow your post. Profilux and Apex are on equal platforms with an almost identical price point. Not sure if you actually went through that thread on reef2reef but for price, controllability, and durability the consensus is profilux is number one.

You don't want me to compare them together because profilux is that much better?

I am the first to admit that the Profilux used to be quite expensive but that was due to a shitty distributor, much has changed in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
when will the Profilux be releasing their automated water testing system? Like Apex new Trident Alk/Ca/Mg tester. I need to start saving up for a unit, i really need something to help me.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I keep going back and forth on this controller as I like this one more. I want the new Apex but I also like trying something new and not well known. I have read great things about GHL. The only advantage is that if I get the new Apex, then I do not need to replace everything and I would end up with more/extra equipment. If I go GHL, then I need the Mega Set as well as 3-4 extra power bars and all the set ups are about 15-30 feet away from each other.

DT
- 1 power bar
- new circ pumps and controller (currently I have WAV)

Sump/fish room
- 2 power bars
- main unit
- probes
- doser

Seahorse tank
- 1 power bar (actually 2 as I need 7 outlets)
- unit for temp

If I had the upfront cash to buy everything for the GHL and sell the Apex afterwards I would. I have a feeling this is going to add up quickly.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Seeing that apex is six to eight months behind the ball. I would like to know how or where I would go to get readings from a master 2.1 doser and kh director with out the main computer. How does it work for people without the GHL set up

http://bigshowfrags.com/kh-director-ghl/

You will be able to connect to the master doser via internet connection or direct connecting via USB cable.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I keep going back and forth on this controller as I like this one more. I want the new Apex but I also like trying something new and not well known.

GHL is not new. It has been around long long before the APEX. My GHL is a P3ex which I bought from ORG back in 2006. I still use that unit today. APEX came out long after GHL.

GHL was not well marketed in N. America and came with a crazy price tag, that has all changed as mentioned above.

I'd love to have a full crazy setup of this stuff someday, if I had say $10,000 to drop on everything to replace the system I have. It's neat, looks like the equipment from a late 90's operating room.

Not really fair to compare these to either an apex or a reefkeeper, totally different monster.

**I should add that I was comparing the apex classic, with 8-outlet power bar, display and orp/ph probes ($700 CAN tax/shipped) to the "ultimate" which has head unit, 6 outlet power bar, display and 4 probes for $1359CAN (plus tax/shipping).

As BIGSHOW pointed out, if you compare to the new 2106 apex, it's over ~$1000 CAN and you really don't get anything with it, so it's on par with the new V4 mega which is $50 less.

Both points I feel are valid, as you can still buy a brand new "classic" apex (which I did a couple of weeks ago).

Of course you could by the outdated APEX Classic and hope they don't discontinue the equipment that only works for that unit vs there new GOLD unit. Doesn't it piss you off that there new controller and components are not backwards compatible? I don't know that would make me extremely upset. $700 for an outdated unit or $1020 for a brand new unit? Of course I understand you already have the components for the outdated one, so why would you switch. This is not what not really what I am discussing.

If your on the market for a NEW controller the the Profilux 4 is the obvious choice. Again, don't take my word for it, take the many users who have posted in the thread I mentioned above (and again below).

Obviously I sell the Profilux and have a bias, so due your own due diligence and see why people prefer one unit over the other. I should add whether I sell the unit or not, I have always, always recommended Profilux and will continue. Not many people travel more then I do and I have yet to have a major failure. I can thank my Profilux for that!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/opinions-on-controller-upgrade-2016-apex-or-ghl.328727/page-3

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com

Actually the P4 mega set I believe is more on par which has a price tag of $1020. The mega set already includes a screen on the actual head unit. The Ultimate set (which you refer to above) also includes a colour touch screen which can be mounted separately away from your unit for easy viewing and control-ability.

You CAN compare the two, but you are again comparing there old unit which is not compatible with many of there new equipment.

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh I know it has been out a long time. I meant try something new as in switching to new equipment for me. It is unfortunate that they were poorly marketed in the past. If I was looking for a new controller, then there would be a good chance this would be it. I was going to go this way when I was looking originally, but as mentioned, price was way off. Now that i have so much invested in Apex it would be difficult to switch without a huge financial buffer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Oh I know it has been put a long time. I meant try something new as in switching to new equipment. It is unfortunate that they were poorly marketed in the past. If I was looking for a new controller, then there would be a good chance this would be it. I was going to go this way when I was looking originally, but mentioned, price was way off. Now that i have so much invested in Apex it would be difficult to switch without a huge financial buffer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I don't blame you Torx, you have a lot invested and the APEX and it does do what you need it to do. This is more directed to new users looking to purchase something brand new

Amaroq

Is your price $1020 or $1147? Your site makes you pick a colour and by doing so raises the price $130? I've been considering getting a controller for a long time now and everyone praises GHL.

Amaroq

$1020 that is a glitch

So would I then be refunded the difference? It doesn't change back to the $1020 price when added to the cart and you can't not pick a colour and just add it you your cart. How would I go about hooking this up to a LX6200HV? Do I need the PLM-PWC add on or does the Profilux 4 come with the option to communicate with the LX series out of the box? The add on card only mentions to add it to the Profilux 3.