Grasshopper Solar

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Anyone have any experience with these guys?
https://www.grasshoppersolar.com/guaranteed-funding-program/

I know there isn't going to be much savings with this funded program. But the wife and I like the idea of being "greener". We like the thought of being able to contribute back into the grid with a renewable source of electricity to help offset what we are using.

Some mixed reviews online about this company. It's from one end of the scale to the other. Either extremely great reviews, or absolutely terrible ones. Almost seems like the bad ones are from people who are expecting huge savings on their bill and don't realize that majority of the earnings are going towards paying for the 30k system they just had installed on their roof for free.

Any feedback would be appreciated. As i have a rep coming to my place this Friday.

Thanks

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
No experience with that group but know a guy who deals heavily in PV systems of all sizes...

At the original power rate of $0.82 micro PV systems generated around 4-5% ROI making it a very solid investment choice and one of the main reasons we pay the highest hydro rates in the developed world...
The rate was rolled back to around $0.38 (not sure about current rate) so it became much closer to a break even proposition depending on your personal tax implications... these numbers are based on a 15-20 year payment cycle I believe with some level of uncertainty regarding the systems viable life beyond that window. FWIW

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
The program is designed to feed power back to the grid in a green way.
I don't expect much of a return on the system. I think their program is 20yrs and you either choose to take a 3k one shot deal or roughly $400/yr savings on your hydro system.

My main question was to see if this company was legit and the quality of work done.

But after speaking to a friend of mine who is a home inspector. Which he advises against it. I am now having second thoughts even though it's costing zero out of my pocket.

S8

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Would make selling the house possibly harder (potential buyers not interested)

What happens if you decide a couple years down the road your not happy with the system and want to remove? Are you locked in?

Still emerging technology and I assume that in 10-20 years this product and application maybe obsolete?

Josh

I think the panels are reasonably rock solid, its the storage methods that are untested for long term much like an electric car.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Just putting it out there, might want to make sure your roof shingles are in good shape , would suck to have them installed and a few years later needing to take the panels down re do the roof then have to get someone to set them up again , just a thought don't know anything about these . But there's definitely nothing better then being "greener" ;)

shamous113

Have you checked with your home insurance to see if they allow it/and or if its going to cost you more$/year to insure your house?

Janice

I have solar panels for my pool. We have to do a new roof and it will cost us about $3,000 to have the panels taken down and re-installed. It has saved us a lot on gas. In 5 years we have only heated the pool with gas at all this year. It did not cost us any extra with insurance. I would just ask them for 5 clients you can speak to for references.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I'll be calling my insurance company today. Apparently the company pays for and provides additional insurance. But I'm unsure if that's just to cover their panels.

I have an appointment set up with one of their reps this Friday. So I guess I'll wait and see my impressions after I speak with them directly.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
We met with them last night.
Seems like a good program and they seem very professional and legit. So we're moving forward with them.

They do have a referral program that will benefit us and the person who will enroll.

So if you'd like a referral or even have any questions. Just pm me here.

S8

Hong

Hi Eric,

Just curious about this. How much is it going to cost per sq ft or roof? Roughly how long does it take to get your money back?
What is the referral plan?

Thanks.

Hong

Hong

Hey,

Just curious. For you house, you have a contract with them for 15 yr. What if you decide to sell before that term is up?
Are you on the hook, if you can't get the new owner to assume the contract?

Thanks.

Hong

John721

I've had a system up and running for 8yrs now but I did net metering not micro fit so I use the power it makes and if its making more then I'm using it puts it into the grid and they pay me for it. With net metering I get about $.18 per kw put in to the grid