Greetings & Salutations!

Friendly

my name is Cam and I'm brand new to the salt water world.

I've had fresh water tank before...a black water biotope with dwarf cichlid's, but it's been some time.

right now I'm absorbing as much as I can while I figure out what I want to do.

my end goal is making a nano/pico reef and I'm debating whether I want to use the Spec V I just bought or grab the new Evo 12 or go with an IM 20, though I am pondering the new LED Biocube 16 or 32, since it's got everything already...

Last edited:

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Welcome to the site, lots of info Here on everything you need to know about saltwater tanks, also lots of members to help you out along your journey into saltwater, remember there's no dumb questions- only the ones not asked:), enjoy your stay:)

Reef On!!!!!

zoomster

Welcome to the Frag tank Friendly!
I am sure you will enjoy being a member of the community here!
You will find there are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced enthusiasts here to answer almost any questions you may have and help is always just a question away!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Welcome to TFT

Pico/nano as your first reef tank is brave.
Since it's such a small system any changes you make will have a big impact. Also nutrients build.up very quickly as well. With larger water volume, comes more forgiving system and better at keeping things stable. Nanos are great. But require a different level of commitment and time spent.
Just because the system is small doesnt reduce the amount of work needed.
Small tanks are for dedicated people. Large tanks are for lazy people.

Just my $0.02

Sony Xperia Z3

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
welcome_zpsxlkq81rd.gif
to the Frag tank. I agree with Eric. A Pico or Nano tank is a very ambitious project for a beginner (not that it can't be done, my very first saltwater tank was a seahorse tank and everyone told me it was too difficult as my first tank - I succeeded). If you choose to go that route be very diligent with your water changes and tank maintenance. If you still wish to have your display tank small you could plumb it in to a larger sump to achieve greater water volume and balance of your system. The sump can house all of the equipment that is too big to fit into your small display tank. Good luck and post a build thread with pictures once you have decided what you are doing. :)

Friendly

hey all, yes, a nano tank may be a bit more difficult in the long run, but that doesn't scare me. I am looking into how I can get the largest tank I can into the small space available. I actually live in a pico suite...total space with kitchen/closet/bathroom is about 330sqft. my actual living space is 11' x 16', so I can't have anything large. not now anyhow.

being the lights on teh new LED Biocube's aren't the best, I am leaning heavily towards the IM 20 or 30L. I don't expect myself to go into the complicated coral's, but being the LED Biocube's PAR is so low at just half the depth, I'm not sure even simple corals would thrive or survive if placed near the bottom.