Hair Algae die-off = Ammonia spike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fraggle Rock

Anyone know hair algae die off Could be what's causing my massive ammonia spike i've noticed over the last couple of days?
nothing else seems visibly wrong with the tank nothing dead or missing
I'm extremly lightly stocked as i'm waiting for it all to be gone for a least a month or two before i even start thinking about adding anything new to the tank.(besides maybe a lawnmower blennie)

Its the only thing i can think of ATM that would have caused it?

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Fraggle Rock link said:
Anyone know hair algae die off Could be what's causing my massive ammonia spike i've noticed over the last couple of days?
nothing else seems visibly wrong with the tank nothing dead or missing
I'm extremly lightly stocked as i'm waiting for it all to be gone for a least a month or two before i even start thinking about adding anything new to the tank.(besides maybe a lawnmower blennie)

Its the only thing i can think of ATM that would have caused it?

Any die off within a closed system will cause ammonia levels to rise (Including Algea). Is you tank currently cycling?

If it's cycling I would just let it do its thing.

If you have fish/corals/inverts in your tank already, you can always do a water change to help dilute the amount of ammonia in the water. Excess ammonia will only allow more algae to grow and if you let the levels get too high it could stress/kill some of the inhabitants of you tank.

F

Fraggle Rock

Thanks Rick thats what i thought.
My tank was cycled and I do have two clowns and a few coral (my Xenia is looking super sad from it  :( )
Mixing some water as i browse this great little forum.

C

Cal_stir

Ammo-lock is a quick way of treating ammonia spikes, it doesn't remove it but locks it up so it is harmless

Status
Not open for further replies.