Harlequin Shrimp - The Starfish Assassian

shiftline

Website Affiliate
Has your tank been overrun with tiny white starfish? If so it may be time to call in the big guns and hire an assassin!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I love my harlequin shrimp. He did a great job cleaning up the Asterina star fish in my tank. Although in my 120, there are still Asterina stars that he has not caught. He was already showing signs of being hungry. Basically meaning he could not find all of them in my 120. So I supplement with CC starfish leg. Took me a week to get over the thought of it, but he is happy and hiding again. In the mean time, when I do find an Asterina, I move it towards his cave or just pluck it and move to my horse tank for later.

shiftline

Website Affiliate
I love my harlequin shrimp. He did a great job cleaning up the Asterina star fish in my tank. Although in my 120, there are still Asterina stars that he has not caught. He was already showing signs of being hungry. Basically meaning he could not find all of them in my 120. So I supplement with CC starfish leg. Took me a week to get over the thought of it, but he is happy and hiding again. In the mean time, when I do find an Asterina, I move it towards his cave or just pluck it and move to my horse tank for later.

What did you notice of signs of him being hungry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
What did you notice of signs of him being hungry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read and noticed, the more you see him, the hungrier he is. They should typically spend most of their time in their cave or hiding spot. If you see them spending a lot of time wondering around the open, then it is time to make sure they eat. Maybe place some asterina right where he is staying at the time.

Steve Peters

Mine is also a definite favorite! I still have plenty asterina stars so he rarely comes out but he is amazing. A friend also has one in her reef but the stars have been depleted and it was dancing up and down the front of her glass begging like a dog. Supplementing with choc chip stars now.