Hawaii Supreme Court Ruling Halts Aquarium Fishery 07 Sep, 2017

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I'm unsure if this is a good idea. Making things hard to get just increases the black market demand. Embargos like shark fin, whaling and the ivory trade didn't really work.

thehvacman

It's not good at all! Prices of anything still available will go through the roof. The Hawaiian islands were actually pretty good at keeping harvest from the ocean sustainable. Yellow tangs are not even threatened in the wild. This is what America chooses to do to pretend they even care about the environment. Really sucks for us in the hobby, and anyone in Hawaii who works in the harvest end of the trade. I'm sure there are lots of lost jobs down there.

Skim

I don't know what there problem is. I watched a show on how the fish are collected and what they have to do before they can collect and it is very highly regulated. I think it is like the Gentlemen was saying," that they only cover the one side of the story and most only understand or see that we catch Fish for the Aquarium industry but they don't see how we do it or all the Permits and costs and how strict and how monitored we are. People see what happens in the far east at times, with the Cyanide and Explosives and think that is what we do". I think it may change once the Courts and people see just how and what is involved when they do any capturing of the fish. Its funny how they are not going after all the Charter fisherman. I guess all the Money from the Tourism helps keep a lid on that or all the silt run off from all the construction has killed like 80 - 90 % of the reefs that was around the Islands.

Letsdiscus

It's not good at all! Prices of anything still available will go through the roof. The Hawaiian islands were actually pretty good at keeping harvest from the ocean sustainable. Yellow tangs are not even threatened in the wild. This is what America chooses to do to pretend they even care about the environment. Really sucks for us in the hobby, and anyone in Hawaii who works in the harvest end of the trade. I'm sure there are lots of lost jobs down there.

If only all the so called politicans and presidents of each countries stop travelling via their jumbo jets for climate change conferences and talk about carbon footprints...double standards...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk