Heeeelp. Salinity Issue

SamiiStarr

We picked up a scorpion blenny. A starfish and some narsius snails . And a new refractor meter. Here's the issue

Salinity.

New fish.

Ahhhhh.

What do I do. I have a 55 gal. Was going to drip them and put them in. But I'm worried about the salinity.

I have 5 gal of Rodi water made. Can I just make salt and add more to the training gal to increase the over all salinity?

Ugh:(

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I've had that many of times I like to remove half the water i get and add about 150 mill of your tank water every 5 min and check the solinity say after every 30 min , keep doing till you get it there , I've have water at 1.18 and my tank was 1.26 took about 2 hours

It helps if you buy a drip line that drips for you i have one it would save you the hassle of manually doing it .

Joshbrookkate

It's easier on fish and inverts to tolerate a lowering of salinity than raising it. So I'd put them in a container of fresh water that is the same temp and salinity that they came in. Then I'd drip it down slowly to the salinity of your tank.

Why put them in new water instead of using the water they came in? That's because when you open a bag that your fish come in, the ammonium from the fish's waste immediately starts to convert to ammonia, which is a killer for fish. Many people have lost fish while dripping because of this.

Then tomorrow I'd very slowly, over the course of a couple of days, start raise the salinity of your tank until it's where it should be. I usually correct a low salinity issue in my tank by disconnecting my ATO and let evaporation do the job.

SamiiStarr

Thank you :). We have a drip . But we're worried that putting them in 1.2 salinity when their used to 1.24 would shock and kill them.

This makes me feel a lot better . We will slowly drip them over 2 hours and then add them to our tank .

Thank you for calming me down lol