Help! dinoflagellates

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdb320reef

I have never had them but when I got back from Amsterdam I found that my GF overfeed the frag tank and somehow this stuff started to proliferate.  That was a month ago.  When I got back I stripped the tank and started withe new egg-create and siphoned out all of the crap.  Subsequently I ended up doing a 3 day lights out.  My PH in that tank is about 8.2.  Today, I pulled a few corals like I do usually to inspect them for parasites and found dino's growing on live flesh of the sps frags.  Furthermore a few of my chromis, that I feed liberally, were dead and stuck to the MP10s.

So with all of that said how do I beat this issue.  The tank is about 3 months old with dry rock cycle and no sand.  I also dump frag plugs and always use brand new ones when I acquire  a frag.  I think I got them from using a used BRS GFO reactor that I didnt sterilize before use.

On a side note many of the frags are either brown or pale and I recently lost a few.  It seems to like to grow in the monti and digis. It is also attacking the acros.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Dinos are in seawater, they really aren't something you can catch, it's a side effect of an imablance in the tank.

From the sounds of it, you are just plain old messing with the tank way too much.  Stop pulling things out and leave them be.  You're draining things, removing things, cleaning things, having lights on, having lights off, etc etc.

The best results come from patience and stability (of the tank and the reefer).  3 months is a very very young tank.  Stop playing with it and let it adjust.  Without a sand bed you only have liverock to do your filtering, so constant, accurate water changes will be your best friend.  Salinity and temp should be very stable (use a refractometer) when doing a change, and don't mix the salt and just dump it in. 

We'll also need to know what your tank parameters are, and what you are using to get the results. 

Lastly, dinos don't really gro on corals, they grow in the water column and 'stick' to corals. 

tdb320reef

Salty Cracker link said:
Dinos are in seawater, they really aren't something you can catch, it's a side effect of an imablance in the tank.

Not trying to catch but rather eliminate.  The tank is actually quiet balanced I will post my parmas below.

Salty Cracker link said:
From the sounds of it, you are just plain old messing with the tank way too much.  Stop pulling things out and leave them be.  You're draining things, removing things, cleaning things, having lights on, having lights off, etc etc.

This Is not an on going activity but rather a single situation event.  With that said too much is relative.  After executing the single situational aforementioned steps  the polyps were out until the problem returned.

The best results come from patience and stability (of the tank and the reefer).  3 months is a very very young tank.  Stop playing with it and let it adjust.  Without a sand bed you only have liverock to do your filtering, so constant, accurate water changes will be your best friend.  Salinity and temp should be very stable (use a refractometer) when doing a change, and don't mix the salt and just dump it in. 

Been around 15 years so patients is common knowledge.  Like i said the tank is dry rock cycled.  Everything I read communicates not to do water changes to starve it out.  Temp controlled via Apex and Salinity by two digital 1 Hanna 1 Milwalkee - I also run the PM2 and conductivity probe

We'll also need to know what your tank parameters are, and what you are using to get the results. 

Phos .05 Hanna
Nitrate .03
Alk 8
Calc 440
MG 1320

Lastly, dinos don't really gro on corals, they grow in the water column and 'stick' to corals.

They release a toxin and then grow in the dead flesh.  When this occurs it moves to the live until it kills that and continues to move.

Does someone here have some real world theory on how to beat this issue.  I am a very experienced reefer I just never had this issue.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Dinos are tough to deal with. Not sure I can recommend an easy fix. I had an outbreak when I increased the bioload in my system about 3-4 years ago. In my experience they eventually went away over about 6 months. I had to blast them away with a turkey baster and try to siphon them up in some cases. I noticed they were always worse by the end of my lighing cycle.
I know some guys have experimented with peroxide with mixed results.

tdb320reef

Man I had new tank algae before but this brown snot is killing corals and fish.  Kind of crazy.  I know I should have put the reactor outside for a week to freeze off the crap.  Ill do another 3 day lights out and keep you posted.  Thanks.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
tdb320reef link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4568.msg42744#msg42744 date=1362105109]

Not trying to catch but rather eliminate.  The tank is actually quiet balanced I will post my parmas below.

Salty Cracker link said:

This Is not an on going activity but rather a single situation event.  With that said too much is relative.  After executing the single situational aforementioned steps  the polyps were out until the problem returned.

Been around 15 years so patients is common knowledge.  Like i said the tank is dry rock cycled.  Everything I read communicates not to do water changes to starve it out.  Temp controlled via Apex and Salinity by two digital 1 Hanna 1 Milwalkee - I also run the PM2 and conductivity probe

Phos .05 Hanna
Nitrate .03
Alk 8
Calc 440
MG 1320

They release a toxin and then grow in the dead flesh.  When this occurs it moves to the live until it kills that and continues to move.

Does someone here have some real world theory on how to beat this issue.  I am a very experienced reefer I just never had this issue.
[/quote]

Real world help? 

I had a 6 month battle with them, fully documented and I beat them.  Best of luck putting people down that are trying to help. 

tdb320reef

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=tdb320reef link=topic=4568.msg42746#msg42746 date=1362105741]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4568.msg42744#msg42744 date=1362105109]

Salty Cracker link said:

Phos .05 Hanna
Nitrate .03
Alk 8
Calc 440
MG 1320

[/quote]

Real world help? 

I had a 6 month battle with them, fully documented and I beat them.  Best of luck putting people down that are trying to help.
[/quote]

Really...?  I appriciate your contribution.  I am asking to learn but will respond with known facts.  I will check out your post on RC.  Thanks again!

P

phi delt reefer

lights out for three days.
keep your PH at steady 8.6 during that time.
suck out the dino's daily during this regime.

this solution should be easy enough for you to attempt because you have a ph controller and kalk stirrer.

I personally just lived with it for 6 weeks and just sucked it out daily and did a huge water change at the 6 week point. It just disappeared after that. I think it just needs to run its course. I see so many people trying a million different things and everyone has mixed results. Hence the reason you can't find a single solution on-line.

Also note the variety of dino's that exist so the different species may not react to certain treatments.

chief hill

I did 3% hydrogen peroxide tank dosing and it has taken my issue away. Has anyone else done it here? 
It's been quite successful to many in the rc forum. Depending on what you have for stock.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
The best way to get rid of any pests is to honestly decide you really like them and start dreaming of all the money you will make when you start to propagate them commercially or if you're less materialistic just become really emotionally attached to them...and then their sure to die out...

Seriously...while you're going through that mental process while maintaining your good tank keeping habits the problems usually resolve themselves...+ Kalk and dinos don't usually go together...

I started naming my flatworms and introducing them to my kids...

tdb320reef

AdInfinitum link said:
The best way to get rid of any pests is to honestly decide you really like them and start dreaming of all the money you will make when you start to propagate them commercially or if you're less materialistic just become really emotionally attached to them...and then their sure to die out...

Seriously...while you're going through that mental process while maintaining your good tank keeping habits the problems usually resolve themselves...+ Kalk and dinos don't usually go together...

I started naming my flatworms and introducing them to my kids...

LOL Thanks.  I am going to use sodium ash to crank up the PH and lights out.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I'm not pretending to even begin to know anything about the topic, but I was on sealife's website last night checking out the algae x and it says that it works on the dino too - does it? I have no idea, just thought I'd pass it along
sunny kita

umbis

sunnykita link said:
I'm not pretending to even begin to know anything about the topic, but I was on sealife's website last night checking out the algae x and it says that it works on the dino too - does it? I have no idea, just thought I'd pass it along
sunny kita
I used Fauna Marin Algae X to fight Dinos. It worked with 1 dose. I followed directions and they never came back. I had them pretty bad too. That was 6 weeks ago. I'm back to normal light schedule. I got it from Sealife. It didn't harm ANY fish, corals, starfish or crabs. I lost some snails, but they were dying anyway from the Dinos.

Status
Not open for further replies.