Help Me Pick My Next Fish!

Nicole New Lowell

I really want a new fish but every fish I research I always find one reason or another not to get it. I want to be very responsible with what I get. The tank is 75 gallons, mixed reef but mostly softies. Currently I have a female maroon clown, 3 azure damsels, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, a handful of snails and hermits and a saron shrimp. So obviously anything I get would have to be compatible with that. So more clowns are out of the question.

Here are a list of my requirements/rules etc

-I like hardy fish
-looking for something with a lot of personality over appearance, if it happens to be colourful thats a bonus but not a requirement
-nothing sandsifting, and nothing that will decimate my pod population so no dragonettes
- I would like a tang but not sure I am comfortable keeping one in a 75 gallon
- not a damsel, although i plan to get talbots in the future
-nothing that needs a deep sand bed
-nothing really large or aggressive, at least no more aggressive than my current fish
-jumpers are ok because my top is really secure (being in wall I can use dense styrofoam to fill any gaps)
-preferably nothing that needs to be fed more than twice a day to survive
-something captive bred would be great but not necessary

I am really leaning toward a royal gramma or some type of blenny (not lawnmower) but I am open to suggestions right now.

So if you were me, what would you get and why? Price isn't too much of an issue, let's say no more than $100

Nicole New Lowell

Hmmm... bangai cardinal... a blue green chromis( very active) and maybe a six line eraser or a flame angel

Thanks for you'e input!

I had a bangaii before and I would consider another (or a group) but on,y if I could find captive bred because I know their populations in the wild are plummeting. I love the way he clicked at me when he was pissed lol.
I'm not big on chromis, they do not have enough personality for me and they look sh*tty under my lighting.
I'd have to do more research on the 6 line. I feel like there was a reason I've avoided wrasses.
I would love a flame angel! I'm worried about it with my corals though....
My boyfriend really loves coral beauties, and I've strongly considered either the flame or coral beauty...but am wary of both because of the coral thing.

Nicole New Lowell

Ok so after a quick read on the 6 line I would say he is a good candidate except for the one thing, he sleeps in the sandbed. I doubt mine is deep enough. Anyone had experience keeping one of these with very little sand? I'm guessing I have about a half inch.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Midas Blenny, Tons of personality, beautiful colours and swims crazy. Definitely a jumper. I had one and it jumped out of the container and onto the floor when I was trying to remove it from the bag. Then jumped out of the acclimation container and into the tank. Finally he jumped out of the tank one day like 6 months in.

Nicole New Lowell

Midas Blenny, Tons of personality, beautiful colours and swims crazy. Definitely a jumper. I had one and it jumped out of the container and onto the floor when I was trying to remove it from the bag. Then jumped out of the acclimation container and into the tank. Finally he jumped out of the tank one day like 6 months in.

Wow lol. Well luckily jumping shouldn't be much of an issue. Obviously I remove the lids at times but I assume if I am present when it jumps and put it back in promptly it would be fine.

Canadianeh

Thanks for you'e input!

I had a bangaii before and I would consider another (or a group) but on,y if I could find captive bred because I know their populations in the wild are plummeting. I love the way he clicked at me when he was pissed lol.
I'm not big on chromis, they do not have enough personality for me and they look sh*tty under my lighting.
I'd have to do more research on the 6 line. I feel like there was a reason I've avoided wrasses.
I would love a flame angel! I'm worried about it with my corals though....
My boyfriend really loves coral beauties, and I've strongly considered either the flame or coral beauty...but am wary of both because of the coral thing.
Really like dwarf Flame Angel or Cherub pygmy angel, and I am going to take a chance. I won't add him until I finish adding the rest of fish in my want list though.

Nicole New Lowell

I like both but in regards to the cherub my boyfriend always says 'Why would you want another blue and yellow fish?' Since i already have the azures lol

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
sell the fish you have and get different stuff. I have 5 Clowns in my system all added at different times had 6 but last week little tomato some how ended up in the filter sock :eek: so had to have jumped the over flow 2"

Nicole New Lowell

sell the fish you have and get different stuff. I have 5 Clowns in my system all added at different times had 6 but last week little tomato some how ended up in the filter sock :eek: so had to have jumped the over flow 2"

Oh my! I would never dream of getting rid of my current fish! I

Nicole New Lowell

Oh my! I would never dream of getting rid of my current fish! I

I may be able to get away with a pair of clowns of a different species without my maroon pestering them too much, provided they took up residence on the other side of the tank, but I'm not sure I want to risk it. The only reason I think this might work is because I got my maroon from a friend who had a pair of clarkiis, and it was actually the clarkiis who were harassing the maroon. I suppose worse case if they didn't get along I could move the new clowns into my 55 frag tank which currently has no fish. I was considering getting a pair of clowns for that tank anyways.