Help Me Pick My Next Fish!

monizb

Super Active Member
My favourite fish was the Stery blenny great personality and fun to watch
IMG_2088.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicole New Lowell

Midas blennies are great fish, and so are molly miller blennies. There are many cases of the molly millers eating aiptasia, and they have tons of personality.

I've actually been doing some research on molly millers, I like them. I think they might be hard to find though but I will be keeping an eye out.

Nicole New Lowell

How thicn is your sandbed.. mines an inch thick and it is fine. The first night when I was looking, I couldn't find him and started to panic...lol

I think mine is about a half inch but I'm going to start slowly building it up. I'm definitely considering the 6 line, it seems to be a really good fit for my tank.

Canadianeh

when you live (boonies) where most of us live $35 shipping is way cheaper than the drive to T.O. (gas alone is roughly that amount for me)

At least she should try Big Als' Barrie or local members first before paying $35 for shipping which is more than the price of the fish. Remember that this fish is pretty common item in LFS. Unless she desperately want starry blenny and she can't find it anywhere closer, and wants it now. It will be her personal choice to make. At least she has the options to make better decision.

Nicole New Lowell

I've never seen molly miller at Big Als Barrie and I really don't like buying my fish from them. Normally a drive to Toronto is too much for me but I do get to go occasionally. At least Big Al's Missisauga, the Dragon and Aquatic Kingdom are all basically in the same plaza.
And guess what?!? My boyfriend decided my valentines day present would be a trip to the city fish shopping this weekend :D yay!
I would love to buy from Carl's since he's the only store I know that gives a gaurentee on marine life and quarentines for 3 weeks. I visited him once when he had his shop in Toronto, what a guy! I'm not big on paying shipping costs for anything though, but agree that if I was making multiple purchases it would be worth it.
I will let you all know what I end up getting on the weekend :)

dale

myself and many others have experienced very mean 6 line wrasses, i will never get another one...

my wifes favorite fish is a bi colour blenny, they have lots of personality so do a lot of other blennys inc the starry..

hawkfish also have a lot of personality flame hawks have incredible colour..

a yellow watchman gobie / pistol shrimp combo would also be a great addition..

porcupine puffers are known to to be at the top of the list when it comes to personality..

triggers have a lot of personality but very few are reef safe and even less wiil suit a 75g...

wrasses are nice, colorful and very active and many will be just fine living in a small cave if gravel is insufficient but may flip small rocks on the bottom..

there are many options esp if you have jumping covered..

Nicole New Lowell

myself and many others have experienced very mean 6 line wrasses, i will never get another one...

my wifes favorite fish is a bi colour blenny, they have lots of personality so do a lot of other blennys inc the starry..

hawkfish also have a lot of personality flame hawks have incredible colour..

a yellow watchman gobie / pistol shrimp combo would also be a great addition..

porcupine puffers are known to to be at the top of the list when it comes to personality..

triggers have a lot of personality but very few are reef safe and even less wiil suit a 75g...

wrasses are nice, colorful and very active and many will be just fine living in a small cave if gravel is insufficient but may flip small rocks on the bottom..

there are many options esp if you have jumping covered..

Thanks for the info/suggestions. I would definitely like a watchman goby at some point. Aren't all puffers seriously aggressive? I think triggers are definitely a no, I'm not sure there is one that wouldn't eventually swallow my damsels! I should look into hawkfish some more. I'm really leaning toward a starry blenny if I can find one. I e-mailed Bob Fenner at WWM and he said they are very hardy and long lived if you start with a healthy specimen, especially compared to a lawnmower blenny.

Canadianeh

Midas blennies are great fish, and so are molly miller blennies. There are many cases of the molly millers eating aiptasia, and they have tons of personality.

@thehvacman, I was watching Midas Blenny videos on youtube, and I am liking him so much. Do you know if he pick algae on rocks just like Lawn Mower Blenny? I am trying to find a combination of great look and good functionality.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
@thehvacman, I was watching Midas Blenny videos on youtube, and I am liking him so much. Do you know if he pick algae on rocks just like Lawn Mower Blenny? I am trying to find a combination of great look and good functionality.
I have a lawn mower and he's great comic relief. They like young algae film most of any algae in the tank or at least mine does and he kisses the glass hundreds of times a day. Lip marks everywhere. the Midas is more of a meat eater. But neither will really do muck to solve any algae problem.

My Lawnmower never really needs to be feed he always has a round little belly. But when I put the 1/2 noir sheet in the tank him and the conch do a number on it and its gone in a day.