Help Me Pick My Next Fish!

thehvacman

@thehvacman, I was watching Midas Blenny videos on youtube, and I am liking him so much. Do you know if he pick algae on rocks just like Lawn Mower Blenny? I am trying to find a combination of great look and good functionality.
Ya the midas blenny doesn't eat much algae. They are meat eaters for sure. So they won't compete for the same food, lawnmower and a midas would go good together.

Nicole New Lowell

I have a lawn mower and he's great comic relief. They like young algae film most of any algae in the tank or at least mine does and he kisses the glass hundreds of times a day. Lip marks everywhere. the Midas is more of a meat eater. But neither will really do muck to solve any algae problem.

My Lawnmower never really needs to be feed he always has a round little belly. But when I put the 1/2 noir sheet in the tank him and the conch do a number on it and its gone in a day.

How long have you had your lawnmower? I have never had luck with these and I've heard it's rare to keep them alive more than a few months.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
How long have you had your lawnmower? I have never had luck with these and I've heard it's rare to keep them alive more than a few months.
About two years, picked him up at ba's and he is one tough fish. He jumped out once and into a 5 gallon pail of fresh water for top ups and had to be in there for hours.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Molly Miller Blenny Article

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016...m_campaign=Coral+eNewlsetter&utm_medium=email

Wingerter wrote, “[The Molly Miller blenny] is known to feed on nuisance algae and detritusdecomposing organic material, including animal remains, plant remains, waste products, and the bacteria and other microorganisms associated with them.">detritus, and is widely reputed to feed on cyanobacteriamicroscopic, aquatic, photosynthetic organisms that can form slimy red or blue-green biofilms on aquarium substrates when nutrient and light conditions meet their demands. Also called blue-green algae.">cyanobacteria and Aiptasia spp. sea anemones. If even half of these reports hold up to truth, the Molly Miller blenny could truly be the preeminent clean-up critter of the marine aquarium fish trade.”

SamB

Super Active Member
I agree with Dale about the 6 line wrasse
If you get this fish, be prepared that you will never be able to add any more occupants as this is a very aggressive and territorial species

Nicole New Lowell

Sooooo...I bought a starry blenny :) He's drip acclimating now but when he settles in over the next few days I'll post some pics :).
I went to the Dragon and Big Als Mississauga (didn't know Aquatic Kingdom had moved?!?). Big Als had quite a few large starry blennys and the dragon had one little guy in one of the tiny little cubicle things, he was almost impossible to see. But the guy working there told me he had been there 2 months (I'm assuming the one's at big Al's came in recently) and he looked healthy and to be honest I felt bad for him lol so I brought him home. He looks good so far.
Didn't see any molly millers surprisingly. Either way I'm super excited :D

Nicole New Lowell

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I will be staying away from the 6lines. Today my boyfriend was constantly pointing out coral beauty angels again so I think that will be our next and final addition. I'll risk it nipping at a few corals, I can always move them into my frag tank if necessary but since it's mostly softies I'm not too concerned.

Nicole New Lowell

Not much different than what I normally see. I made a quick stop at Big Als Vaughan on the way home though and saw fish I had never seen before! They are juvinile sailfin jacks. These guys get way too big for your average tank though unfortunately. I would have taken a vid but my phone was almost dead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 87

Nicole New Lowell

The dragon also had some nice little maroons for decent prices, I remember a gold stripe for $28 I almost bought. A few of them looked a little off though. They had 1 lightning left, I can't remember the original price tag but he told me he would sell it for $200. I wish! Although I would rather buy the nice ones I have seen on this forum.
Oh and one thing I don't see often was a squat lobster. I also saw blue spiny lobster written under one of the tanks but I assume it was hiding, this has been on my wish list for a while but I've never seen one in person.

crstalww

Thanks for the info/suggestions. I would definitely like a watchman goby at some point. Aren't all puffers seriously aggressive? I think triggers are definitely a no, I'm not sure there is one that wouldn't eventually swallow my damsels! I should look into hawkfish some more. I'm really leaning toward a starry blenny if I can find one. I e-mailed Bob Fenner at WWM and he said they are very hardy and long lived if you start with a healthy specimen, especially compared to a lawnmower blenny.
Hey Nicole I have two Falco hawk fish in with my clowns goby six line and my tank is softies and I love them. Was going only to get one but hubby is like he needs a friend and honestly they comical never bother anyone and they stay together lol

Nicole New Lowell

Hey Nicole I have two Falco hawk fish in with my clowns goby six line and my tank is softies and I love them. Was going only to get one but hubby is like he needs a friend and honestly they comical never bother anyone and they stay together lol

I've never done much research on hawk fish, something must have turned me away from them early on. Maybe when I upgrade I'll look into them more. We saw some sort of hawk fish at Big Als yesterday, my boyfriend was like 'uhoh thay guy is dying' (he was sitting on the sand) I laughed and I said no he's fine, he's perched. And he's like huh?! So i pointed out more of them perched on other stuff in the tank and they looked the same and he's just like, oh. Lol. It still amazes me how different saltwater fish are from fresh, so many normal behaviours in sw fish you would never see in fw and it cam be a little freaky at first lol. For example my new starry is hiding now under a shell kind of sideways, to anyone inexperienced in sw I'm sure they would think he was in trouble but he looks perfectly normal to me! Lol

crstalww

I've never done much research on hawk fish, something must have turned me away from them early on. Maybe when I upgrade I'll look into them more. We saw some sort of hawk fish at Big Als yesterday, my boyfriend was like 'uhoh thay guy is dying' (he was sitting on the sand) I laughed and I said no he's fine, he's perched. And he's like huh?! So i pointed out more of them perched on other stuff in the tank and they looked the same and he's just like, oh. Lol. It still amazes me how different saltwater fish are from fresh, so many normal behaviours in sw fish you would never see in fw and it cam be a little freaky at first lol. For example my new starry is hiding now under a shell kind of sideways, to anyone inexperienced in sw I'm sure they would think he was in trouble but he looks perfectly normal to me! Lol
Love blennys they have great personality. I think when I look for fish I look at their personality .

SamB

Super Active Member
Hawkfish will eat shrimps so you won't be able to keep both together

Nicole New Lowell

So far the new blenny is doing well :). There was quite a bit of posturing from my male azure at first, and the blenny would strike out at him but that already seems to have subsided a lot.Surprisingly my maroon is completely ignoring him but I haven't yet seem him go to her side of the tank. Smart fish lol