Help Me Save This Scoly

Cliff

OK so I Was that big shows place last week and my two boys were admiring is amazing Scoly's. Although I could not afford one Dave was awesome enough to give me a amazing piece that unfortunately is on its way out. I am really trying to heal it because it would be so awesome to have. It has receded immensely yet it's mouth is still there so I am optimistic there is still some hope for it.

So what do you suggest I do? I have it now in a lowlight low flow area. I tried feeding it But it did not eat.
I really want to save it. Please help

heath

Distinguished Member
never had anything like that but, what if you put it in a small container in the tank.. maybe the flesh would grow back on the base/skeleton...good luck..

Nighthawk26

Sadly, I'm in a similar position. Didn't get it from BIGSHOW as I had never met him yet, but with me it was also about a week before it started receding. Not as bad as yours, and it sort of stabilized, but it's 1/3rd of what it was, and doesn't appear to be getting better, so I'm all eyes on this thread too.

Kman

Super Active Member
That is plenty of tissue left for you to turn things around. I have saved things with less tissue then a dime so you can do it. I would start by cutting off the dead zones you don't have to but I like to it is up to you as I have done both ways but find less algae issues if cut off. If the coral has something like a boring algae in the skeleton that is causing the tissue to recede that is why I cut it out. It is also a spot for algae to grow on that will irritate the tissue making it pull in. Find a place on your substrate that has low light but not to low and low water flow. Or good flow that goes above and across the top of the coral but not enough to lift the tissue to much. So food will flow across the top and heaver items fall into the coral allowing things to be ingested or absorbed through the tissue. You can create this flow by placing a small rock on the side of water flow that forces the water up and over the coral. I would also start manually feeding it once a day with small food items. This is important as larger items use more energy up from the energy budgit to open the mouth and in the digesting process then smaller food items that are easily eaten or absorbed through the skin. Food is very important in corals that are damaged as they need extra food for repairs as the zooxanthellae are not at a great enough density to meet the corals daily needs. If you want to target feed cut the top portion off of a coke bottle and remove the lid so you can place it over the coral when feeding and help keeping the food items in place and stop anything else from stealing the food. Then squirt the food in like mysis, brine and small fish food pellets that are nutrient packed. I like to bait the water with a little frozen food juice about 15 min or so before feeding and soak any food in something like AminOmega. That way you give time for the coral respond to feeding before all the food gets eaten. If you stick to this you should be able to save it.

Cliff

That is plenty of tissue left for you to turn things around. I have saved things with less tissue then a dime so you can do it. I would start by cutting off the dead zones you don't have to but I like to it is up to you as I have done both ways but find less algae issues if cut off. If the coral has something like a boring algae in the skeleton that is causing the tissue to recede that is why I cut it out. It is also a spot for algae to grow on that will irritate the tissue making it pull in. Find a place on your substrate that has low light but not to low and low water flow. Or good flow that goes above and across the top of the coral but not enough to lift the tissue to much. So food will flow across the top and heaver items fall into the coral allowing things to be ingested or absorbed through the tissue. You can create this flow by placing a small rock on the side of water flow that forces the water up and over the coral. I would also start manually feeding it once a day with small food items. This is important as larger items use more energy up from the energy budgit to open the mouth and in the digesting process then smaller food items that are easily eaten or absorbed through the skin. Food is very important in corals that are damaged as they need extra food for repairs as the zooxanthellae are not at a great enough density to meet the corals daily needs. If you want to target feed cut the top portion off of a coke bottle and remove the lid so you can place it over the coral when feeding and help keeping the food items in place and stop anything else from stealing the food. Then squirt the food in like mysis, brine and small fish food pellets that are nutrient packed. I like to bait the water with a little frozen food juice about 15 min or so before feeding and soak any food in something like AminOmega. That way you give time for the coral respond to feeding before all the food gets eaten. If you stick to this you should be able to save it.
Awesome advice!! Thanks

Kman

Super Active Member
Sweet that rocks! I love when people can save ailing corals. Judging by what is left of the tissue and color of it this will be a beauty coral.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
It will grow faster over old skeleton but is hard to keep algae off so like k man I just trim it. It's amazing how much you can turn a sick coral around with some dips a bit of care and patience. Get ready after that hit when it bounces back its growth will be set to overdrive.

Cliff

It's doing really well. Recession has stopped It's mouth is healed. It eats every second night and it is slowly coming back

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 143