Help Need With My Torch Coral!

Yavaar

Hey guys!...I need some help with experienced reefers...the 2 torch that I have all have their tentacles retracted and it’s been like that for over a week now....for the past month, everything I add in a torch, for the first few days their tentacles extends very well but after a few days it stays retracted and never fully extend and I can’t figure out why...any help would be appreciated....I have tried reducing the light intensity and all but still can’t fix the problem...
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 50
Phosphate: 0.02
PH: 8
Alkalinity: 8
Calcium: 450
Mag: 1440
Temperature: 78.4

Attachments

• 666CD462-0E74-4701-A207-02CAF0FC7B2D.jpeg
    666CD462-0E74-4701-A207-02CAF0FC7B2D.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 123

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcome to the site.

For starters, nitrate at 50 is way too high typically. Euphyllia typically can do well for a few days in high nitrates but eventually start to retreat which is what I think it happening here. Especially if they come from a cleaner system. Sometimes you will also get polyp bailout where the whole head separates from the skeleton and floats away in hopes of finding a better spot with better water.

Yavaar

Welcome to the site.

For starters, nitrate at 50 is way too high typically. Euphyllia typically can do well for a few days in high nitrates but eventually start to retreat which is what I think it happening here. Especially if they come from a cleaner system. Sometimes you will also get polyp bailout where the whole head separates from the skeleton and floats away in hopes of finding a better spot with better water.
Im currently using nopox to lower the nitrates and weekly water changes as well...some people have also told me that it may due to too much lighting!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Im currently using nopox to lower the nitrates and weekly water changes as well...some people have also told me that it may due to too much lighting!

Well too much of anything can kill anything. Like @Painter Steve asked, what lighting are you using? Also including a lighting schedule and set up would help

Matt1997

Nitrates are far to high for both the alk levels and the phosphate levels. Id boost up the phosphates a little and add a refugium to reduce nitrates. A well lit refugium will drop nitrates 5-10ppm a day. A 30-50% water change wouldn’t hurt either.

NOPOX does not work quickly. Takes a few weeks to see results.

Yavaar

What are you running for lights? T5's, leds?
Well too much of anything can kill anything. Like @Painter Steve asked, what lighting are you using? Also including a lighting schedule and set up would help

thanks for the reply guys...I use 2 Kessil A360x tuna blue and here is the schedule bellow:

8am:Intensity - 1% Blue - 100% White: 0%
9am:Intensity-20% Blue - 90% White: 10%
11am:Intensity-40% Blue - 60% White: 40%
1pm:Intensity-60% Blue - 30% White: 70%
3pm:Intensity-60% Blue - 30% White: 70%
5pm:Intensity-40% Blue - 50% White: 50%
7pm:Intensity-20% Blue - 80% White: 20%
8pm:Intensity-0% Blue - 0% White: 0%
All dark until next day at 8am and repeat...

I am renting a par meter tomorrow...I had no idea a refugium had this much effect on reducing nitrate..I already have the Kessil refugium LED but never used it....gona set up the refugium tomorrow...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It does not seem like too much light at all. Also that sand is incredibly clean for having such high nitrate. How old is the tank? Do you have a full tank photos?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk