Help!

Tabitha

We bough some new corals on Wednesday and this morning I woke up to the zoas still not open and shrinking, and the Milliepora completely bleached and expelling all its zooxanthelli. We have a total of eight other frags that are doing fine, showing no signs of stress (frogspawn, blasto, gsp, montipora, aussie dendro). Testing and doing an emergency water change right now. I will update with parameters shortly. Please help!
ae7b4721b8c58f3164b8733fbb5613d0.jpg
9d856f83356488dad817d2397fac43f7.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Josh

its not uncommon for zoa's to stay closed up for upto 2-3 weeks while they acclimate to the new water and light levels, try moving them into a shaded area and if they open then that means your light is a bit too intense.

Tabitha

its not uncommon for zoa's to stay closed up for upto 2-3 weeks while they acclimate to the new water and light levels, try moving them into a shaded area and if they open then that means your light is a bit too intense.
Thanks, I moved the one colony down this morning after I posted. Still closed. But they say patience is the key.

Tabitha

Did a very small water change. Here are my parameters. Salinity 1.027 - KH 161.1ppm - Ammonia 0ppm - Phosphate 0ppm - Ph 8 - Nitrate 5.0 ppm - Calcium 520 ppm . Oh and the tank is 120 gallon, with a unknown amount of sump with refugium. Adding a protien skimmer soon. Noticed the nitrate is down from last week and so is Kh.

Josh

salinity bit high, some coral shops run at 1.022-1.023 to save on salt (maybe other reasons too) could be angry about that as well.

Tabitha

salinity bit high, some coral shops run at 1.022-1.023 to save on salt (maybe other reasons too) could be angry about that as well.
That's very true. We are living in a crazy battle of ever rising salinity, evaporation is our enemy. I add 2.5 gallons of RO water everyday.

BonnieC

That's very true. We are living in a crazy battle of ever rising salinity, evaporation is our enemy. I add 2.5 gallons of RO water everyday.

Have you looked into an ATO (auto top off)? I think it’s a great investment. You could use something as simple as an aqua lifter on a timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabitha

Have you looked into an ATO (auto top off)? I think it’s a great investment. You could use something as simple as an aqua lifter on a timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can't afford it just now. But it is definitely in the upgrade list :)

Tabitha

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your suggestions and advice. Our salt as been steady 1.026 for a week now with the all the corals looking healthy and happy... Except for the zoas... I have no idea what we are doing wrong. Should we move them to a more mid level lighting area again? Our nutrients are still the same and we have a protien skimmer in now. Running fine. Any more advice??? Help please, they look like they are melting!

Tabitha

Here are some pictures of their placemtnt. The last picture is for scale. Please help!
f8348a397ae314cd146b77ef0fa02a17.jpg
da3e31a60e89db7219ade63eda884b5f.jpg
8c3eaa24d2323e9480636d18dfafc389.jpg