High Salinity

monizb

Super Active Member
Hi guys hope you guys had a great Christmas and have a great New Years ..... I did a water change today and noticed my aquarium salinity at 1.031 and always have it at 1.025 and when making water in my storage bin I mix it as well to 1.025 I do water tops up with my water that I have mix up for water changes all my corals are open and doing well should I be worried what’s the best way to get it back I know I’ll have to take it down slow
63565d9a9ff8cd6663b21b5b79e832c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Double check calibration of the refractometer. Maybe borrow someone elses before you do anything drastic. You can lower salinity quickly, just cant raise it quickly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You shouldn't top up evap with pre mixed salt water.
When water evaporates from your system. It's only water that evaporates and not salt. Should top up evap losses with pure rodi water.
That's why your salinity has crept up.
You can make your own calibration fluid at home
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

S8

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
You shouldn't top up evap with pre mixed salt water.
When water evaporates from your system. It's only water that evaporates and not salt. Should top up evap losses with pure rodi water.
That's why your salinity has crept up.
You can make your own calibration fluid at home
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

S8
Wow, I missed that. Yes, as water evaporates it leaves salt behind so if you top off with new salt water you will be raising salinity. Always top off with plain RODI. Well unless your salinity is low and you want to raise it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

monizb

Super Active Member
Thx for the great info I’ll be double checking tomorrow with a different refractometer to make sure and I’m going to stop using mix water for top ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk