Hob Filter

harelymike

I used to be on here. Had a couple tanks going about 4 or 5 years ago. Always had a sump system and had hard and soft corals.
Looking to get back into it, but scaled back a bit. Don't want to mess with any sps stuff this time.
Want to keep it simple. Don't want to get into dosing and all that fun stuff.

I always had sumps, but am looking at setting up a tank with a HOB filter. Just fish and some LPS stuff.
Anyone on here running HOB filters with success.

Thanks guys for the help
Mike

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Yes sir over 3 years now but to be fair I run a canister filter , IMO it’s better then a hob because it’s bigger and can hold almost more in it , I have a mixed reef but all my soft and lps do great ! Don’t get me wrong a sump is better , canisters just need more attention like cleaning it once a moth and weekly water changes and you are good to go .

SamB

Super Active Member
HOBs are ok for smaller tanks but they don't have the turnover rate for a larger tank
Plus they need to be cleaned VERY often if you load with floss

Alexanneka

I have a 35 gallon aio (all in one), running a Fluval c3 hob filter and an aquamaxx hob protein skimmer to get rid of the bigger stuff. I only have to clean my filter about every two weeks. All things considered it's alot simpler than my last setup. I did the same thing and scaled it back. Built a custom hanger for my 27 inch maxspect cuz I wanted to side mount the skimmer and filter, so I could get the tank up against the wall as its in a doorway. I run chaeto and dragons breathe in the refugium portions of the sump, with a couple of cheap little grow lights from Amazon.

Attachments

• 20180311_204759.jpg
    20180311_204759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122

Kjmsmith

Yes sir over 3 years now but to be fair I run a canister filter , IMO it’s better then a hob because it’s bigger and can hold almost more in it , I have a mixed reef but all my soft and lps do great ! Don’t get me wrong a sump is better , canisters just need more attention like cleaning it once a moth and weekly water changes and you are good to go .
+1 on the canister. Probably depends on the size of your tank if HOB or canister is best for you. I have run my 90g sumpless system for over 6 years, no dosing other than some occasional phyto and zoo plankton and have lps and sps. 10% H2O change q 2 weeks and give the Fluval FX5 canister a quick clean at that time too.

Jewel

Sumps where it at, but so many are trying the hob not for me but who knows, get a big one that's all I can say, where you gonna put your skimmer or heater or Algea scrubber Lol. Good luck buddy