How Dense Do You Keep Macro In Fuge?

Nemo22

Need surface area to allow cycling of gases and oxygen, but how dense do you keep your macro?
I have a small refugium, currently with about half the space full of Chaeto and Caulerpa macro. Too much in your opinion? Should I try and maintain a softball size of each instead?

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    664.9 KB · Views: 110

Kman

Super Active Member
I keep mine packed. You will know if you don't have a lot of nutrients when the macro slows in growth. I do harvest pretty heavy once a month and let it go back. I remove almost half. I find heavy densities allow for better stability and wiggle room for nutrient fluctuations. Plus when it is dense it goes into sexual reproduction releasing more spores and in turn you get a better pod population and filter feeders as it supports the food web. So your food web is healthier.

Nemo22

I keep mine packed. You will know if you don't have a lot of nutrients when the macro slows in growth. I do harvest pretty heavy once a month and let it go back. I remove almost half. I find heavy densities allow for better stability and wiggle room for nutrient fluctuations. Plus when it is dense it goes into sexual reproduction releasing more spores and in turn you get a better pod population and filter feeders as it supports the food web. So your food web is healthier.
Thanks for the reply Kman, I will follow suit and maintain a higher density of macro growth. Cheers