how do i keep my metal halide rays down

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris77

So last night I was just sitting in my living room when I heard a horrendous noise.. Look over and the glass that covered the top of my tank cracked then fell in the water. it has to be because of my light. I have a metal halide, but pretty sure it's a home made fixture, so it has no ends on it or cover over the lights. I had someone build for me some ends to keep the light in, after installing them to the light last night and having my light on for only 1 hour, compared to it could handle it before without the ends for around 8 hrs.. I've already been having problems with the amount of heat its been letting off into my tank but the glass definatly kept a lot of that out. Was wondering what others do who have a light like this? Would it work to put a clip on fan somewhere up there? Or would this even do anything? But now that there is no glass up there today when i turn my light on it can make my tank temp jump 10 o! Which isn't good. Any advise?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
DE metal halide need a glass shield.  SE do not need one.  Any glass used around a MH that is going to get super heated needs to be tempered.

chris77

So I could install a peice of tempered glass to the bottom of my fixture and it will be fine?

P

phi delt reefer

you can buy halide housings/reflectors/housings that accept a fan to help move the hot air out of the light before it makes its way to your tank.

GLCT6XL.jpg

Other option is a clip on fan on the top of your tank blowing across the water surface to drop the temp (usually good for a 2-3 degree drop) - only problem with this solution is the evaporation will greatly increase so you will need to keep up on your ATO replenishment.

chris77

Ok the fixture already has reflectors..But the as for installing glass to the bottom of my fixture instead would this be a good thing to do to?

Status
Not open for further replies.