how do zoanthids reproduce

Status
Not open for further replies.

reefin

I have 4 frags of different zoanthids. The pink ones continue to grow over the side of the rock as well as the red and green ones. These frags have been in the tank now for about 2 months and I have a piece of rock about 12" away from the "garden" and I have noticed 2 new very small green ones starting to grow. Great to see but didn't think they would or could just pop up like that in a different place of the tank. 

davesolo29

Super Active Member
is it a zoanthid or a palyothoa?

zoanthids generally just pop out a new polyp kind of like a wart growing on a finger whereas palyothoas will cast out a web and grab onto something and polyps will grow out of those webs.

this is just my experience anyways..  maybe they both do it both ways.

also,, sometimes the new polyp wont stay attached to the group and can get blown to another area and set itself up a new home there.

AdamS

Funny story...

I read this last night and thought it was a little strange, I had never heard of Zoas flying around the tank. Then this morning I am looking in the tank and find a single zoa polyp 2' from the colony. So I guess it does happen.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
AdamS link said:
Funny story...

I read this last night and thought it was a little strange, I had never heard of Zoas flying around the tank. Then this morning I am looking in the tank and find a single zoa polyp 2' from the colony. So I guess it does happen.
If you see one "flying" you let me know.  Mine usually swim.

reefin

AdamS link said:
Funny story...

LOL

good I'm not the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.