How often do you blow detritus off your rocks?

How often do you blow detritus off your rocks?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Every two weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Never (There is no need or why should I bother?)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Not every water change (which I do weekly) but fairly often.  Maybe a couple times a month.  I can usually see when it is building up and that's when I bust out the baster.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Good thread and super important, often not talked about.  Once every week or two here.....i find the more I do it the better the tank looks as a whole.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Darryl_V link said:
Good thread and super important, often not talked about.  Once every week or two here.....i find the more I do it the better the tank looks as a whole.

and you just blow it off and let the system carry it off and down to the sump correct? you dont suck it out as soon as you blow it off, (ive heard some do this)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had to look this morning just to see because I really never do it... there just isn't anything that really collects or could be blown off.  Do you mean sand or something else?

I seem to remember I had a lot of crap on my rocks a long while ago, but it was stuff like slime algae. 

Boga

Does anybody else experience a reduction of foam in the skimmer after rock blowing off? The foam level in my skimmer drops a couple of inches 5 minutes after I do it and then comes back to normal in 30 minutes.

MrHermit85

Boga link said:
Does anybody else experience a reduction of foam in the skimmer after rock blowing off? The foam level in my skimmer drops a couple of inches 5 minutes after I do it and then comes back to normal in 30 minutes.

Did mine over the weekend and changed my skimmer out afterwards and didn't notice any change in foam level

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Boga link said:

I notice this when I clean, broadcast reef roids. I think it's just because what the skimmer is sucking up (more gunk then usual) water in the skimmer is thus heavier and foam cannot climb as high and also maybe pump cannot push water in general as high? I'm not to sure, but yes it does happen to me.

spyd

Super Active Member
Could also be because fish food breaks down the bubbles in your skimmer for a period of time. When you blow off the rocks, some food might be left over on your rocks and cause the foam reduction. I use a turkey baster weekly and just let the skimmer collect the crap that comes off the rocks. I scrape off the odd bubble algae as well at that time and the fish just eat it up. A couple of my tangs just love it.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Nice to hear you have bubble eating tangs Derek.  Which ones and do they eat it off the rocks?  You may not notice if they do but you should notice the rocks being relatively clean.  I actually didnt realize how well my naso worked to keep the bubble down in the display till I started growing bubble in all my frag tanks like mad.

Jewel

Another thing that I started to do with this tank, Something Darryl told me about years ago, It took awhile but I did it LOL

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=6664.msg65984#msg65984 date=1382974675]

and you just blow it off and let the system carry it off and down to the sump correct? you dont suck it out as soon as you blow it off, (ive heard some do this)
[/quote]I always run a sock, I vacuum the substrate right after and change the sock once the water is clear again.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Boga link said:
I always wear an aqua glove when in the tank, I'll have to check next time, I know when I put my bare hands in then the skimmer dropped.

zarqy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
I've been looking for Aqua gloves but I' haven't found them anywhere.  Who sells them?

KBennett

The oils on your hands interrupt the skimmer bubbles...
Anyone else put a little oil on their mashed potatoes to prevent them from boiling over?