how often should an aquarium be resealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris77

I was just wondering some opinions on how often a tank should be resealed.. Or if it doesn't matter as long as your seal is good. My reason for asking is because I purchased my aquarium used, and the seal was fine on it a year ago, but now noticing one corner really needs to be resealed. I'm taking it, its very important all seals are good or something might happen? Hope not. And also how much work am I looking at here to get it resealed? How do I completely empty my reef aquarium? Just transfer all this stuff into a different tank? And should I redo the seal myself or have a professional.

Jewel

If it's not leaking, I wouldn't bother. If it is? Most times it's easier to get another tank. Tanks are hell to get apart. Best way I know is 2 Guys and Piano wire and putting it back together is touch and go unless you know what you're doing. I once bought a 90 gl Starphire, Eurobraced that leaked for cheap and ended up selling it on Kijiji for 100 bucks as a Reptile tank.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Do you want to do all the seams/seals, or just the inside seams?  Not long after I purchased my 120 used, I had a small leak right at the very top of one of the seams.  I had just got everything in the tank and arranged the way I wanted it.  After debating the issue for a while, and listening to many people tell me to just buy a new tank, I decided to redo all of the inside seams myself with reef safe silicone. I had to move both my rock pillars into large brute garbage cans with PH's and heaters. I couldn't really take them apart. I cut out all the inside seams with a razor, scrapped down to the glass as best I could, and used vinegar to wipe it down (silicone does not bond well to old silicone).  I couldn't feel my finger tips for weeks due to the pressure from the razor blade in cutting and scraping.  I purchased some additional glass and added some internal bracing in the corners and additional eurobracing along the top of the tank for extra support.  It all worked out (knock on wood) but man, what a PITA.  Pure reef silicone cures differently than bathroom or kitchen silicone - I taped and quickly realized I needed to get the tape off sooner rather than later to prevent making a mess.  Took me a few days and I lost some SPS pieces.  Taking it to the next level and doing a complete reseam will involve some large clamps as well as some serious labour and caulking skills.  Not for the faint of heart!

P

phi delt reefer

+1

rebuilding the aquarium (ie. removing the seals and seams) is usually never worth it unless you have alot of free time, patience or got a huge tank for free.

if you just want to reseal the tank like jroovers did it'll still take time and some strong hands and patience but it's doable. You do need to have good razor control or you'll cut into the seam and then you've got a REAL project on your hands. I tried to do it on a 15 gallon and 30 gallon tank and gave up after the first seam and had a buddy (BLOB) come over and do it. Not my cup of tea to say the least.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
ive done lots... both just inside seams, and complete rebuilds.
the dollar stores usually sell some that come with little holders..  makes it soooooooo much easier.

I do agree tho.. i only do it if its a free tank or "the only one that fits perfectly where i need it"
The hardest part is cleaning the remaining old silicone after stripping it out.

chris77

Unable to post pic.. But can't see any seem at all in left front corner. But ok thanks for the advise! 

Status
Not open for further replies.