How to get picky fishy to eat

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My cbb is a picky sonofabeach
He 'eats' frozen mysis but more than half of the time he won't touch it because it doesn't look enough like a whole mysis, and the ones he does eat he spits 40% of them out... Stupid monkey...

The one thing he goes after readily is clams, he won't stop until that clam is gone, but most of the time the other fish, wrasse in particular help him eat it so he doesn't get a whole lot because he is a push over.

So. To solve the clam eaten to fast problem. I wedge a plastic bread tie in the mouth of the clam and put an elastic around it. So only his long little mouth can reach it :)
ge4egeju.jpg

You'll see in the pic that there is two clams; on of them is an old shell, and I figured is should try and stick mysis in there, see if I can't trick him... Well he ate the whole clam and the whole clam filled with mysis, haha stupid fish :) but I love him.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Funny he's being so difficult. He went crazy for frozen mysis in my tank. I usually dropped 2 or 3 clams in, and that seemed enough to keep everyone happy.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Which kind of Mysis are you feeding? I find the PE Mysis does better as they are larger and my CBB loves them. He is always waiting at the top of my tank ready when I bring the food.
I did however have to remove my clam. He tries to take a peck at my Garden Eel but he is too quick for the CBB to get him. He also ate my tube worms so I don't have them in the tank anymore. It's a shame because I have always liked the large tube worms :(

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Well Poseidon has a very strict feeding regime. Each fish must eat only during it's allotted time slot. So therefore throwing in 3 clams at once to create a feeding frenzy won't work. LOL.

Btw ingenious idea of the bread clip elastic trick.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea not the same... I will look for that next I go shopping

He isn't hungry though, my tank is full of feather dusters and he is constantly nipping at them

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Mine prefers the larger PE mysis as well...never touches my crocea clam and not something that I want to get started...

But he also loves frozen bloodworms. Might be worth a try and good to add to the variety. You must have some Aiptasia to offer with all the stuff you turnover, I try to keep some growing in the sump to give as a treat every now and then. And I'm always happy to pick up Frags that are going cheap cause they have Aiptasia on them...:D