How To: Homemade Fish Food

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Hey TFT family

I've been asked a few times lately what I do for my homemade fish food. So rather than typing it out a few times. Figured I'd throw it in a thread.

DISCLAIMER
I am not responsible for any harm caused by this food you make. I cannot control the cleanliness of your tools, the quality of ingredients being used and the amount being fed. Make and use at own risk.

Here's what you need;

Equipment;
Food processor
1 big mixing bowl
1 med bowl
1 box sandwich sized ziplock freezer bags
Rubber spachila

Food.
*use all fresh seafood*

1lb de vein shrimp
6-8 jumbo scallops
6 oysters shelled
1 LG squid top only cleaned
3mils selcon vitamins
2 full sheets of nori
1 teaspoon reef roids(optional)
1/4 cup spirilina flake food
3 cloves of fresh garlic peeled

Once you peeled the shrimp and shelled the oysters. Place all fresh seafood in the med bowl with Rodi water in the fridge to soak for 12-24hrs. Changing the water with fresh Rodi water two or three times throughout the soaking process.

After soaking/rinsing fresh seafood. Drain it.
You'll need to chop(in food processor) each type of seafood separately, then combine all at the end in the LG mixing bowl.

While blending each type of seafood in the food processor. Add a little Rodi water to each batch. It'll help mix it up and get it down to the size you need for the tank. To check size while blending. Take a small amount out and spread it on a plate or your hand to check the size of particles of each type of seafood. Too big and small fish won't eat it. And too small and it just gets sucked out to your filter. I try to blend each type to the size of frozen brine shrimp or slightly smaller.

Once you've blended all the fresh seafood. Now take the garlic cloves, nori sheets and spirilina flake and blend that too. Also adding a little Rodi water while blending and check for size.

Now combine all the chopped up seafood and everything else on the list. Mix well and only adding more Rodi water if it's still too thick. You want it to be fairly runny.

Now pour the amount needed in a zip lock freezer bag. Usually about a cup per bag (sandwich size bag)
Get all the air out of the bag and seal it. Now flatten the food out. Once all bags are full. Place all the bagged food in the fridge for 12-24hrs. Then pop them in the freezer. Keeping them as flat and even as possible while freezing.

Done and done!

This batch isn't cheap to make. But it's high quality food and it lasts me easily 6+ months.

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
For making my fish food, I have dedicated tools that are only used, including the food processor... found a small one for not much money... good luck, as Eric said it does take a bit of time but the rewards are well worth it...
thanks Eric..

p.s. almost forgot, I found ice cube trays, for me its easier to feed the fish..

Bece13

@Eric - Excellent tread. Thanks for the recipe.

One question @Eric: why do you place the ziploc bags in fridge for 12-24hours before putting them in the freezer. Why not putting them directly in freezer?

I'm doing kind of the same. The difference is that I'm using a bigger variety of seafood. All the recipes have the same base (selcon, nori, garlic, spirulina) and use 1 or 2 or 3 different type of seafood per "menu". Each day I'm feeding a different menu so the inhabitants don't eat the same food every day. Not sure if they appreciate it but so far so good. Another thing is that when the flattened ziploc bag is almost frozen (easier to do it at this point then when is fully frozen and try to break it into pieces), I cut the bag and portion the content into desired size cubes and place them in plastic containers in the freezer.

heath

Distinguished Member
I asked the same question in a pm.... I also put mine in ice cube trays and then transfer to a larger container..I guess you could call it portion control.. I have 2 different size trays, the larger cubes go to the big tank and the smaller to the 75g...

heath

Distinguished Member
for my garlic, I make my own garlic water and I use that in the food...

I also add a sheet of Mysis and brine shrimp to mine...

Eric, were do you get your squid from, our local Zehr's has a seafood counter but I don't remember seeing it...and not sure what you by the top only....

Marcie

for my garlic, I make my own garlic water and I use that in the food...

I also add a sheet of Mysis and brine shrimp to mine...

Eric, were do you get your squid from, our local Zehr's has a seafood counter but I don't remember seeing it...and not sure what you by the top only....
We can't get squid at Zehrs or Sobeys counters... :s How do you make garlic water?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I place the frags in the fridge first before freezing, because it allows the garlic and selcon to soak in and marinate the food before freezing.

I've also used other types of seafood as well. But I found this particular mix to be best for my fish. They eat it all up and no Un eaten food.

I get all my seafood at a local seafood market. Cuddles catch in kitchener

Sony Xperia Z3

heath

Distinguished Member
We can't get squid at Zehrs or Sobeys counters... :s How do you make garlic water?

what I do is; take an old plastic container (margarine tub) I peel and crush 1 whole head of garlic and pour ro water over it and put it in the frig... it really smells....
I use it to soak the nori in before I give it to the fish...and then I use it make my food...I find that when you are chopping the shrimp it gets thick and sticky in the processor...

Nighthawk26

Eric, how much would such a batch typically cost you do you figure? Want to run the math to see if the value/time/effort is there. I currently use LRS Reef

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Eric, how much would such a batch typically cost you do you figure? Want to run the math to see if the value/time/effort is there. I currently use LRS Reef
It's not going to work out much cheaper.

I think it's around $100 to make. But I can't be sure as I bought a food processor and the bottle of selcon. Also depends on going cost of the fresh seafood.

I just enjoy making it and knowing what goes in and how fresh everything is.

Sony Xperia Z3