Huge Risk On $500 Jb

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
I have a $500 jaw breaker that I bought a few month ago and for some reason it fall of the base and haven't re attach it self yet. Anyhow after a while of waiting I decide to frag it today to see if it will attach as babies. Taking a huge risk here so wish me luck guys
IMG_20160217_190453_edit.jpg
IMG_20160217_202816_edit.jpg

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
ill take the frag on the right ;)
OK lol
Good luck!

Hey Kevin, how many colours did yours show? Some say that it takes a long time for the other colours to come out. Is that true of yours...
Mine is the size of a quarter and it have red and tiny green. I have it down my sump now and the color are not very nice because it only have white light on. It show very nice color when I have it in my dt, but the flow are too strong for this

AM99

Haha you might get lucky just put them back in the same jar lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Are you going to try super glue on some small rubble to attach them? Just put them in a small container so they don't blow away after with small pieces of rubble. I myself for the sensitive ones like to use a shallow plastic container that I put rubble in and place it in a lower flow area till they attach naturally. You could also try the old pantyhose or mesh technique to hold them down till they attach. I would not try it on all of them though just in case. Some of the old school discosoma mushroom were very hard to propagate and attach but these methods worked well on them. Even partially cutting through the oral disk will cause a split that is close to natural situation of fragging. I think most people are scared to cut them because of the cost of the coral itself. It is hard to swallow that with the risk of death.

I have read up on them and spoken to a few people that have them and it seems to be a mixed bag of success for people. That could be from any number of factors and at least some propaganda contributing to the stigma of being hard to frag to help keep the cost up. I have seen people spread rumors that a coral is hard to propagate\will die just so they could sell them for more longer and keep the number of frags low. Not saying this is the case here but I am sure it adds to the mixed success of people at least somewhat for this mushroom.

Thinking out loud here but I bet they succumb to bacterial infections easy after cutting so if they have high loss rate after being cut that could contribute to it. You could try dipping them in a concentrated iodine solution like lugols solution to increase your chances. Even if the original cut when you fragged didn't do it the lack of flow after you frag you have to put them in to stop them from blowing away could enable a bacterial infection. Factor in a slow attachment rate that would compound this. After all they are mushrooms and have evolved with the ability of asexual reproduction by being able to split. After all years in this hobby I have not run into any mushroom that can't be propagated by the ways above. No way this one type of mushroom goes against the evolved ability of asexual reproduction by splitting so there has to be something more going on.

Regardless best of luck.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
+1 to putting them in a basket with rubble as the safest way to get the pieces to attach.

As to the growth and reproduction I have neon greens and orange multi color Rics that border on pests but my ultra orange (even under white light they make my Setosa look drab) Discosomas I have had for years and just have 3 now, so some are just very slow and it only split after it got stung by a torch that fell on it.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Good luck Kevin. Hope it goes well!
Thank you
+1 to putting them in a basket with rubble as the safest way to get the pieces to attach.

As to the growth and reproduction I have neon greens and orange multi color Rics that border on pests but my ultra orange (even under white light they make my Setosa look drab) Discosomas I have had for years and just have 3 now, so some are just very slow and it only split after it got stung by a torch that fell on it.
So are the jb, they are super nice and grow super slow:(
Are you going to try super glue on some small rubble to attach them? Just put them in a small container so they don't blow away after with small pieces of rubble. I myself for the sensitive ones like to use a shallow plastic container that I put rubble in and place it in a lower flow area till they attach naturally. You could also try the old pantyhose or mesh technique to hold them down till they attach. I would not try it on all of them though just in case. Some of the old school discosoma mushroom were very hard to propagate and attach but these methods worked well on them. Even partially cutting through the oral disk will cause a split that is close to natural situation of fragging. I think most people are scared to cut them because of the cost of the coral itself. It is hard to swallow that with the risk of death.

I have read up on them and spoken to a few people that have them and it seems to be a mixed bag of success for people. That could be from any number of factors and at least some propaganda contributing to the stigma of being hard to frag to help keep the cost up. I have seen people spread rumors that a coral is hard to propagate\will die just so they could sell them for more longer and keep the number of frags low. Not saying this is the case here but I am sure it adds to the mixed success of people at least somewhat for this mushroom.

Thinking out loud here but I bet they succumb to bacterial infections easy after cutting so if they have high loss rate after being cut that could contribute to it. You could try dipping them in a concentrated iodine solution like lugols solution to increase your chances. Even if the original cut when you fragged didn't do it the lack of flow after you frag you have to put them in to stop them from blowing away could enable a bacterial infection. Factor in a slow attachment rate that would compound this. After all they are mushrooms and have evolved with the ability of asexual reproduction by being able to split. After all years in this hobby I have not run into any mushroom that can't be propagated by the ways above. No way this one type of mushroom goes against the evolved ability of asexual reproduction by splitting so there has to be something more going on.

Regardless best of luck.
I set them on some gravel and put them in my sump where there is little flow and I here you about people saying not to frag them cause they will melt on me, haha I won't know until I try.